Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot for shaded area

Old 07-28-2016, 02:55 AM
Spike

Default food plot for shaded area

I just cleared out abouta 1/4 acre area for a deer food plot in my woods. The area will get mid day sun for a few hrs. The soils is heavy black dirt. I am in Wisconsin and plan on planting around the 2nd week in August. Looking for recomendations on what would do well in this shaded area. THANKS,

Last edited by fourmules; 07-28-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: didnt finish post
Old 07-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been doing a mixture of seeds with great results by using Purple Top Turnips,Raddishes and some Pennington Durana Clover.I also did another Food Plot early this summer using Sunflower Seeds in the middle & the Durana White Clover along the right and left sides...then another Plot using Sunflowers in the middle,Milo,Turnips and Durana Clover on the edges.

The Pennington Durana Clover does well in the shade,is drought resistant and takes heavy browsing...I used several Brands of White Clover and have had the best Luck with the Pennington in the Spring & Fall planting Seasons.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

best advice I will tell you is this, DO A SOIL TEST
don't go by what it looks like
don't be penny smart dollar stupid, spend the 10 bucks have a soil test done
as if soil isn't at right PH< nothing will grow right, shade or SUN
almost 30 yrs opf doing food plots
best advice I can give you

and something else to think about
come fall when leaves start to fall, a LOT of them leaves will be in the plot also making it harder for things to grow
so if possible, cut back tree';s as far as you can from edge of plot
nothing grows GREAT in the shade
and MOST things will ALL grow with SOME sun light
CLover, CHichory, Rape, turnips?brassicia
Oat's, winter wheat
all decent plots that can tolerate shade , again WON"T grow there BEST in shade but will grow
IF soil PH is right and you add right amounts of fertilizer!, plant and get rain too LOL