Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

High School Project Survey Help

Old 04-26-2016, 05:01 AM
Spike

Default High School Project Survey Help

My son Josh is currently a 10th grader in high school and has to do a project on his career choice. He plans on pursuing a degree in Forestry / Wildlife Habitat Management. As part of his project he needs to do a survey. I couldn’t think of a better place than Bayou Bucks to get a wide variety of hunters to give their opinions. Any help with his survey is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3G6M9N7
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

it helps a lot that you're a regular member and vouched for your son. A lot of these surveys tend to hear a person into "yes or no" answers and the topic is sometimes more nuanced or complex than that. I realize a project like this needs something more along the lines of yes or no and took your son's survey. If your son pursues this career, I would want him to also get input on property owners' rights as opposed to government or some NGO simply telling an owner what they have to do.

As an example, a timber company makes its' money by cutting down trees and turning them into sellable lumber. If properly managed, a timber company's tract of land will have clear cutting in select parts of the tract, followed by burning the stumps and replanting seedlings to produce replacement trees. I've hunted in areas in Oregon where the timber companies use that plan and they have it down to a science. It takes 25 or so years to grow replacement pine trees and they don't clear cut a select part of their large tract for 30 years between cuttings.

While the timber company does burn an area, they may not do it to NWTF or some other conservation group's guidelines. I would not want such a group to be able to override a property owner's business model just to obtain some remaining percentage of their management plan. Hopefully this makes sense.

Good luck to your son and his project.