Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spring 2016

Old 02-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Spring 2016

Not a lot of activity in the forum, so I thought I would try to start some. And this is probably the most appropriate forum for what I'm going to post.

This fall/winter was as wet as we've had in a long time. The HRW wheat I got in early (September 15) is doing OK, although the spider mites took a toll on it when it was still too wet to spray. I forecast a market drop in September, so I had my mind made up if I was any later than October 31 getting the wheat in, I would skip what was left this year. It stayed wet enough I didn't get it all in, so I am going to try spring oats.

Pulling a 27 shank chisel.

Had good help. He likes to farm. The weather has been good, but he really enjoys it when it is very hot or very cold outside. He likes to take advantage of climate control.

Here is a picture of what I am pulling on the chisels. Spikes with hill sweeps behind them. The spikes let me get a little better penetration and depth, and the hill sweeps help clean up the weeds. In this case, weeds and some volunteer wheat. Last year's hail storms ensured I had plenty of volunteer to grow.

Going to try to get everything plowed over this week, and then try to start sowing next week.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Spring oats is a good cover crop. Will plant a few small plots myself.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good rain would help my progress. Went from a really wet fall to a really dry winter so far.

The absent-thus-far El Nino, and the prospects of a La Nina heading into the fall, don't easy my concerns any.