Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Management help

Old 11-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Just like oldtimr said leave it alone for a while. Then start sticking trail cams out during the summer and early fall.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Appears to drain to the Southeast. Southeast corner is the lowest spot on the property and a slight slope that direction all the way to the river/creek.

I don't know what the soil experts have to say, but IMO compost is your friend. Composted organic material over sand seems to be a good growth medium for most everything.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-30-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good read. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/2014/NA...ForestsWEB.pdf
Old 02-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Spike

Ok I've taken your guys advise and I haven't touched the land since firearm season has closed. But now I want to know if it'd be alright to go shed hunting on it to see if there's any monsters dropping them yet? And I also bought another 13 acres of woods today I know it's not much but it's bored by my family's campground on one side a horse farm on the other and it sits 1/2 mile back off the road behind a hay field anything I can do to prep this land for next year?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A little off topic but February is my month to thin out the Fox (or Yotes). I usually set up between a bedding area and a feeding area so as to stress the Deer as little as possible. A twofor, it spares some fawns, limits the predator spring litters and the intensive hunting the predators do in the spring to feed their litter. And the best pelts are often in Jan/Feb.

When the Doe start to drop fawns, they often pick areas with tall grass or weeds away from the traditional bedding areas.

Not mowing the weeds or tall grass can be beneficial.

The areas that must be mowed or mulched in early spring, I often work with my dogs to move the Does out before they birth and/or the farmers mow. A newly born fawn will just lay there and cower as the mower cuts it into hamburger.

It has been a pretty mild winter, but traditionally most managers try to limit spooking the game in late winter and especially during early spring and birthing months.

Sheds are often found in bedding areas. If you move through slowly and with as little ruckus as possible, it is unlikely to spook them much. Repeated visits, dogs or a general hubbub can stress them when they are at their most depleted and vulnerable.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 02-02-2016 at 11:24 AM.