Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Property Layout Strategy 10 Acres

Old 12-15-2021, 11:16 AM
Spike

Default Property Layout Strategy 10 Acres

Hello,
Last year I moved to a 10 acre piece of property. The property is a pass through for deer but this season I do have some bedding in the 3.5 acres of thick woods. I have some 6, 8, and 10 point bucks on my trail cameras along with several does. All before and after hunting hours. I need to do something to keep them on the property.
I have a ~350-400' long and 15' wide trail I am considering planting with clover and chicory and also adding a 110 gallon watering hole.
My property changes in elevation a total of 100'. The bottom ~6 acres is tilled right now but next year I am considering trees, bedding, etc with the purpose of attracting and trying to maximize deer time on my property.
I have attached an image of a layout with some details on it.
I have been hunting a few years now and no deer. Working full time, renovating our house and going to college keeps me busy, but those bigger time eaters will slow down somewhat.

This will be for bow hunting.
Any suggestions on what I can do with the existing property, such as food plots, watering holes, etc for next years hunting season? I won't be doing anything with the lower 6 acres in 2023 but hopefully 2024 so I can re-strategize with that in mind in a year or two. Right now I am looking to see what I can do for next years hunting season.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Property Layout Strategy 10 Acres-property-map-layout.png  
Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

With 10 acres, you will not necessarily be able to keep them on the property, so like you said, the goal would be to maximize their time on the property. If you have areas already under cultivation, use that area like a food plot. Try to keep something planted and growing all the time. If it were me, I'd go no-till if I could. As one forage crop matures, I'd be right behind it trying to get something else established. The only thing I might sacrifice in this area would be a border planting of a windbreak of trees to help the deer feel more secure and secluded while they feed.

I'd try to keep things as peaceful for the deer as possible in your woods between the house and the field. If they feel safe there, and food and water is not far, then they won't travel far. You have a very nice property that has a lot of potential. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Spike

Hello! I was looking around the forum and saw your post. Just curious about what you've come up with. I have a book called Wildlife & Woodlot Management by Monte Burch that has helped me over the years with my food plots, woods, and ponds. You might be able to find a copy on eBay or someplace like that.
Attached Thumbnails Property Layout Strategy 10 Acres-img_7954.jpg.pdf