Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

weeds in my food plots - advice?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default weeds in my food plots - advice?

The weekend of July 4th we planted some food plots on my property in north missouri. we did a combination of ladino clover, turnips, rape, and rye.... the first picture is after about 3 weeks, the plots are looking great.... after a couple more weeks, they are still not too bad, starting to get some weeds but by September, they were completely over run with these tall yellow flowery looking weeds. You can see some of them on the right side of the 2nd picture? What is this? I assume a weed but just wondering where I went wrong.

One of the farmers told me to cut the plots (cut high, like 12-18") which I did a couple weeks ago but wondering if I just trashed my plots? the clover seems to be doing good, just wondering why I am so over run with these yellow flowers now... we did spray a week or two before we tilled and planted. Any advice or feedback? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails weeds in my food plots - advice?-1.jpg   weeds in my food plots - advice?-2.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't tell what the weeds are you are having problems with. Can you get a close up of them? One thing I will tell you is make sure you buy good quality clean seeds. If you don;t buy clean seeds you could be planting weeds. That won't help you now, but something to think about for next year.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be Rape, could be wild mustard. Need a closer/better picture. Hard to tell the two apart sometimes.

If it is wild Mustard the Deer will eat it after the first frost. Natures anti freeze makes it sweet.

If it is Woad you have real issues. Woad is some bad Mojo.

The farmer recommending you mow it indicates it may be wild Mustard.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-30-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

thanks, I will get a better picture soon and re-post....