Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Baiting help

Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default Baiting help

I have a corn bait pile at 1 of my stands. I normally get deer at a range of times throughout the day. I normally check my camera and fill corn at the same time every 2 weeks.The least amount of deer that would come to my feeder would be from about 9-12 o clock at night. I would get nothing. So I decided to go fill my feeder and check my camera at dark. I have been doing this for the past month and it seems like it's working. But a few hunting buddies say since I am getting nocturnal bucks at 3 in the morning I should stop going out at night. What should I do? Any advice on what times to check cameras and fill feeders would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If baiting was a legal option for me and this is how I wanted to hunt - I'd feed at the best time for me to hunt the spot. I'd get those deer used to feeding right at the time it was best for me to be in the field

its not an option for me though baiting like that isnt legal in NY and most states - Im ok with that - I like to hunt the deer on their terms.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If you are taking the corn out to hand scatter it (what you have to do in Michigan 10'x10' area) then take it out so it is all gone when night time comes. Most big bucks will avoid the area if they can come in and get food at night. Most big bucks will avoid the area any way unless with a doe in heat in my area.
I don't bait my self, Neighbor does and has a powered feeder, holds a lot of corn and he has it set to go off at 6:00 AM just before legal hunting times and another short run at 3:00PM so all is cleaned up by dark. I watch deer trekking to the feeder as soon as they hear it go off.

Al