Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

trophy rock versus trophy rock 465

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default trophy rock versus trophy rock 465

does anybody find a difference between using the trophy rock and the trophy rock granular and what was the difference? been using the rock and in past it been hit really good. but was thinking of trying the 465. thanx for any info.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always went with loose mineral and added some salt...

whenever I looked at those rocks they usually were 90%+ Salt,
the loose mineral I would buy was usually less than 10% salt,
salt was cheap, I'd buy some mix it, bring it up to maybe 25-50% salt

some salt is ok/good but the deer want mineral not salt.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can make a great mix yourself from products readily available from any farm oriented feed-seed store. A 50# bag of plain salt (NaCl), a 50# bag of Di-Calcium Phosphate, 50# bag minerals intended for use on lactating dairy cattle which will be high in calcium content. Mix these and you'll have 150# of a mineral supplement that deer will both use and will provide them with minerals that they need for a strong healthy body at a fraction of the cost of 150# of "Trophy Rock" or "465" (pulverized "Trophy Rock"). About $40.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Spike

It's exactly the same stuff. Trophy Rock is about $15 a 12 lb rock or the Four65 is $15 for a 30 lb bag. Your call. Either way, you are still over 90% salt. I bought a bag of the Four65 and added in some leftover Bullseye12 mineral mix I bought locally from a feed store. The mineral and salt ratios are about what Mojotex posted, but without the work and hassle of mixing. I just put it out last weekend to see how it goes. I mixed about 15-20 lbs of the mineral to the bag of trophy rock four65. The salty brings them in and the minerals are there for the licking. I haven't checked game cameras yet, but have seen hoofmarks in the dirt where I put it out when I was working food plots last night.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
You can make a great mix yourself from products readily available from any farm oriented feed-seed store. A 50# bag of plain salt (NaCl), a 50# bag of Di-Calcium Phosphate, 50# bag minerals intended for use on lactating dairy cattle which will be high in calcium content. Mix these and you'll have 150# of a mineral supplement that deer will both use and will provide them with minerals that they need for a strong healthy body at a fraction of the cost of 150# of "Trophy Rock" or "465" (pulverized "Trophy Rock"). About $40.
Were do you get Di-Cal i've been loking for years.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Spike

RWK, you should be able to get it from a feed store. However, if you get the good dairy minerals, you may already have basically the same mix that Mojotex provided.