Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer feeder mix

Old 01-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default Deer feeder mix

I am using a homemade pvc pipe deer feeder and am thinking about blending record rack in with my corn for a more nutritional balance(I've heard straight corn is not all that great alone) is it worth the money or is there any healthier and cheaper alternative to corn and/or record rack? I am gonna food plot next year just didn't get to it early enough this year
Old 05-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Spike

I am thinking of getting some of the deer feed from MFA to mix into my feeders with corn until food plots take off. Last winter I filled to spreading feeders with corn to supplement the winter forage and it seems they worked out ok. Last winter had a lot of acorns on the ground along with some food plots I planted. The deer where I hunt in south central MO seem to be doing ok.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default supplemental feeding

Is your feeder on private property? Are you the only person hunting the deer on this property? Are there deer there with good genetics? These are questions that I would consider before supplementing with a higher end feed like record rack. I have used record rack for several years, mixing with corn is a great way to introduce it and then the goal should be to convert totally to record rack. (In my opinion, and during antler growing season) I would only use record rack if you have a monitored herd and a controlled property, ya know, so you know the deer that are using it and so that you are not growing big deer for every one in the county to hunt because It is expensive.

you want to know the deer tho to monitor the benefits too
Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Spike

Default additionally

you must let deer get old or you will not see the
genetic potential in bucks. I have been disappointed many times by passing deer that i judged to be young only to have the neighboring hunters shoot them. (hunting smaller tracts) you can feed free range whitetails all the record rack you want but without genetics for big antlers and age, you will not reap the benefits.