Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

First Try At Plotting...Pics

Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7mag_Jake
How big of a tractor are you using? That can make a difference too. What we use to disc three times with a 35 hp Mahindra we disc once with the 100hp 856 with a bigger disc.
Kubota M7040 4x4. (70hp)
Attached Thumbnails First Try At Plotting...Pics-image.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a good sopunding mix. Come on rain !!

If I expected to use this plot again next year, I would go ahead and have a soil test made around early spring. Then pH coprrect as soon as you can. Your farmer buddy might know af a lime app service. If a ph of about 5.9-6.0 is accurate, your are still looking at a good deal of lime per acre to bring it up to around 7.0. Probably 1 to 1.5 tons/acre. A lime wagon and ag line would be the way I'd go. Pelletized would be very pricey by comparison.

I would also apply glysophate sometime lae May or earlyJune to try to interrupt the weed seedin cycle. The bush hog the dead stubblea couple of weeks later. If you do not plant a summer plot, it is likely that you will have a cecond weed crop of some extent. I'd kill it again about 2-3 weeks before planting. SHould result in a dang clean field for tilling.

Not sure if you are too far north for Sunn Hemp. You can check with local ag extension agent. If Sunn Hemp is a suitable crop up there, I suggest you plant the whole 2 acres as a summer food plot crop. You can read up on the info avaiable ... my experience is that Sunn Hemp is a fine summer food plot for deer. I had never tried this stuff until last summer. I will attest that I like the results. It matures quickly and is a very good soil builder. Andthe leaves are high in protein. Down this way (SE Al.) the deer like the leaves and hit the crop pretty hard at once it starts to leaf out. However, they have not (so far) been able to "ravage" it to the extent they do small plots of crops we have tried such as soy beans or iron clay peas. Even the hardest hit areas still retained about 12" - 18" of plant heighth with a decent supply of leaves. Once it gets going good, the deer do not mess with the tough stalk. They nip the leaves as the stalk continues to grow upward. Some of ours hit 6' , then they flowered. First frost kills it dead as a hammer. It is a hot weatehr plant. Seeds run about $2/pound. The typical rate is 10#-15# per acre of seed. Might be worth a try.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Spike

Plan right now is to frost overseed clover and chicory in late Feb. Soil test and apply ag lime and fert in late March. No till drill rr beans in late May. Spray gly @ 1 Aug. Then broadcast seed ww and rye grain in mid Sept.
Attached Thumbnails First Try At Plotting...Pics-photo.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Spike

That is plenty big enough of a tractor, 60hp is big enough to do most any job at a deer camp! Good for you!
Anyhow, we busted ass this weekend. We plowed up all the plots with the bigger 2 row disc, seeded with our broadcast spreader that fits on the 3pt hitch, and went back in and covered the seed with our little 5 foot square bladed disc ( or harrow blade as some may call it). It really busted the clods up well like we hoped it would. Hopefully we'll get some rain this week and get the plots up. Got 8 of 12 plots planted. 500# each of wheat and oats and 200# of austrian winter peas. Having fun can be work!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Spike

I wish we had a front end loader!!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 AM
Spike

Entire plot is coming up like this. This is day 28 , seems all a little small but coming in at least.
Attached Thumbnails First Try At Plotting...Pics-imag0226-2-.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome! Hopefully it will produce some deer! Good luck!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Spike

Very nice work love working and planting new food plots almost as much as hunting.