Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need some help guys!!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default Need some help guys!!!!

Ok I have this plot I made last year next to a river. It is not bad sandy or clay but yet not the best soil I didn't send off a sample but tested it with 2 diff meters and come up with 6.0 ph and it's kinda hard to get to it in a cut over that was planted in hardwoods 4 years ago. Well last year the field was descent with brassicas and wheat but the deer mowed it down and I reseeded with rye in November. And I put 100 lbs of triple 13 on it last year well this year I planted the same thing but I used delta ag seed coat I broadcasted 800 lbs of fast acting ag lime and a 100 lbs of triple 13 and I planted right before a good rain but 7 days later nothing but a little wheat come up. Well I waited 10 more days and still nothing so I overseeded with rye right before a rain and now 7 days later still nothing but bare dirt. I'm in northern ms so our temps are high and haven't had a whole lot of rain but the rains we've had have been good. But I'm wondering if I should disk it back up and plant again since our temps are getting cooler. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Rye is pretty "hardy" and should grow when planted. Only thing I could see it not sprouting is from: 1.) Being wayyyy too hot with little to no moisture in the ground causing the seed to "burn up". 2.) Not covering the seed up with dirt to give the seed an advantage of germinating. If you've covered the seed and it's still not sprouting, you might want to consider rediscing and sowing the plot again before time runs out. Bow season is coming up for Mississippi. I don't know if you plan bow hunting this plot. Might want to hold off and wait for primitive and gun season to let pressure of the field ease off the deer herd. Hopefully this helps you!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Spike

Default More info

How much rain did you get after you planted? How long after planting did you get the rain? A big rain, 1-2" or more right after planting can be as bad as too little of a amount of rain. I don't like to plant right before a big rain is anticipated , and I don't recommend it. I have seen where a airplane sowed rye grass on a harvested field for cover crop and wasn't tilled under and the seed get washed into piles after a "big" rain that night. Another thing again with moisture, how much moisture was available when you planted. Again, theres a zillion different variables.
Give us a few more details, plot size ( acre, half acre, third of a acre, 5 acres?)

Was the seed left over from last year?
Was it tilled under after sowing?
Was it tilled under too deep?

When you say rye are you planting rye or rye grass?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Spike

Sorry for takin so long to get back with you guys on this but the plot is up and looking good. The seed help on for almost 4 weeks just needed more rain and sunlight.