Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Lablab question

Old 04-25-2016, 04:19 AM
Spike

Default Lablab question

I am wanting to plant some lablab and have read where it's best to mix it with something. Anyone have any experience on a good mix? Soy bean, sun flower or corn?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't have any experience with lablab, other than a lot of hunters try to plant it in food plots around here, and it seldom works because we do not get enough rainfall. That is why I also have no experience with soybeans.

If you are planting for deer, I would not plant sunflowers. Deer will sometimes eat them, but it is generally not their favorite. Here, they won't eat them until they are very hungry and very desperate.

I would be careful with corn in a mixed planting, because corn can grow very tall very quickly. If it is very thick, it will have a very pronounced shading effect.

Alfalfa or a clover might work. Both will attract deer.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I mixed (per acre) this Spring:

15lb Buckwheat
30 lb Iron Clay Cowpeas
15 lb Lablab
5 lb Sunflowers

This plot was very successful.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I planted a mixed Plot of Corn and some variety of Kidney Beans (Maybe a quarter acre). The Beans climbed the Corn stocks and it turned into a nice thicket. It got really thick and was actually real pretty when the Beans flowered.

Dear really liked it and visited it all the way through summer and into the winter. The Corn and Beans that fell to the ground kept them coming back until almost spring.

This last spring I planted Beans again and not a one germinated and/or grew. Don't really know if it was too wet for them (we had a really wet spring and early summer) or I got a bad batch of seed?

I'd research it and pick my spot with care. In my experience most Beans don't like wet roots. They need a gentle hillside, sandy well draining soil or someplace where the roots don't stay wet all the time. Cycles of water and rest, so the roots can dry out some.

Just my experience with beans in general, Lablab may be different.