Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Oats in food plot.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

If you guys are going to give advice, make sure you know that it's correct. He said he only used Roundup, and glyphosate has no residual effect even the same day, certainly not years. If you’re one of those “I won’t use herbicide” folks, fine. But that is no help what so ever here. Sorry HunterOpel, I can’t offer much help. Seems baffling to me, but I can assure you it’s not residual effect from glyphosate as some are trying to get to believe.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I agree 100%, but could there have been something from the spring in something like a cowpea plot, or possibly something from the previous season?

If there is, I want to know all the culprits!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I sprayed all 10 plots and the one with Oats is the only one that did this, I dont have any pics, was so mad saturday I disced it all under and am going to try and plant something else, I am greatful for all the advise. Thanks Everyone!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

My money is on lack of moisture. It would be unlikely in many soils, but with some light or overworked soils I've seen it happen, especially with that heat. There really isn't any other explanation.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

One thing's for sure, even if the oats hadn't died, they would have been to mature to be attractive in hunting season. Oats is a cool season annual and 100 degree temperatures is something just about any cool season plant can not handle, even with moisture available. The Oats would yield much higher quality forage planted around the first of September or slightly later. High temperatures are still possible, but with decreasing day length, growth will be slower and the heat is bound to subside with each passing day.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know haystack. I hear about folks up there planting brassicas in July. I'm just starting to think about those now.

You have a point though, my oats are most attractive when planted around October 1.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Makes sense hoss, My oats work best when planted around the last week of Aug and the beginning of Sept. (30 days before a frost, just like yours) It gets them out of the summer dry times and the deer really seem to like them when they are 6 to 8 inches and green which is where mine are in Oct from planting right around now.

HOpel,
I'd honestly disc it up and replant the oats. I'd be willing to bet they just didn't get enough moisture and couldn't take the summer heat. Don't give up on them, just plant some more here in the next week or two.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I disced it up already and will plant them again, just alittle later this time. Thanks Everyone...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

HunterOpel, I planted all of my plots around the 9th of August and received a two week dry spell after the plants were about 2 inches tall. Just as you said, the sunny spots died first and then followed the shaded spots. These plots were winter wheat and turnips. The temps got into the low 90's for about 3 days and that's all it took. It burnt them all the way to the ground. I was just as mad as you were... I ended up sticking my finger down into the ground to see how hot the soil was and it damn near burnt my finger. No wonder the roots didn't survive. I just replanted turnips across all the plots on the 1st of September. Will see how they turned out next weekend.

Good luck to you and your plots.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

i like to plant oats in moist ground sometime around Labor Day. Middle of last week we had 4.5" of rain at one of our places. The soil at that place is a nice sandy loam. Yesterday we drilled 8 acres of Chilocco oats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.