Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover Food Plots in South Arkansas

Old 06-26-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Clover Food Plots in South Arkansas

I have planted Clover food plots in South Louisiana using the Whitail Clover and using Winter wheat as a protector for the first year. These worked very well for me here.

My questions are....With Whitail Clover being so expensive....Do you guys have a good blend of clover that would do well in the Sandy soil of south Arkansas, that I can buy from a local feed store?

Also, I like to plant something with the Clover to protect it from over grazing for the first year....does anyone have an idea for what to use in South Arkansas?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 03:42 PM

Default RE: Clover Food Plots in South Arkansas

The local Coop or feed store may be able to help as to what does best in your area. I would suggest either Ladino white or Kentland red clover. You ;might mix with it either Wheat, Barley or annual Ryegrass to give the Clover some cover while it' s getting established. Deer will also feed on these grasses too. When frost takes care of these grasses, the Clover should be ready to take over. Serioously consider any suggestions that the Coop or seed store may make.
Russ