Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2-4,D herbicide mixing question

Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Question 2-4,D herbicide mixing question

I bought 2 1/2 gal of 2-4,D LV4. It states it can be mixed with Soybean oil, Petroleum based oil or liquid fertilizer. I assume this causes the herbicide to cling to the plants more effectively. I have read on here awhile back someone mentioned mixing an herbicide with a detergent to get the same result. My question to those who have been doing this awhile is this... Can I mix the 2,4-D in a water/detergent mixture? Will it cause the 2,4-D to be less effective/ more effective-clinging to the plants/ or no difference at all? If I should use a detergent mixture, which detergent would be best suited to this purpose-dish detergent?

I am trying to cut costs without sacrificing effectiveness. I also read mixing 2-4,D with Dicamba increases the effectiveness of killing various weeds that the 2,4-D lacks in killing, understanding that soybeans cannot be planted after Dicamba has been sprayed in the same plot.

I have the 2,4-D and now am looking for some more bang for my buck. I appreciate any help I can get!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I bought 2 1/2 gal of 2-4,D LV4. It states it can be mixed with Soybean oil, Petroleum based oil or liquid fertilizer. I assume this causes the herbicide to cling to the plants more effectively. I have read on here awhile back someone mentioned mixing an herbicide with a detergent to get the same result. My question to those who have been doing this awhile is this... Can I mix the 2,4-D in a water/detergent mixture? Will it cause the 2,4-D to be less effective/ more effective-clinging to the plants/ or no difference at all? If I should use a detergent mixture, which detergent would be best suited to this purpose-dish detergent?

I am trying to cut costs without sacrificing effectiveness. I also read mixing 2-4,D with Dicamba increases the effectiveness of killing various weeds that the 2,4-D lacks in killing, understanding that soybeans cannot be planted after Dicamba has been sprayed in the same plot.

I have the 2,4-D and now am looking for some more bang for my buck. I appreciate any help I can get!

Most brands of 2,4 D recommend adding a nonionic surfactant to increase effectiveness. Dish detergent is used as a nonionic surfactant to help penetrate the waxy surface on many weeds and to help spread the spray droplet instead of beading up. I have used Dawn dish detergent at roughly 1 to 3 ounces per 5 gallons of mix with good results. Generally I use an adjuvant called PAS 800, which cost around $20 a gallon.

The brand of 2,4 D I use for crop ground is called Weedone LV4. It's a 62% 2,4 D ester formulation. However, I DO NOT use it for weed control prior to planting soybeans. Soybeans are VERY sensitive to 2,4 D both in the soil and when sprayed nearby when the beans are growing. Even though the Weedone LV4 is labeled for Soybeans, it also states something like " do not apply this herbicide prior to planting soybeans if you are not prepared to accept the results of soybean injury including possible loss of stand and yield".

I have learned the hard way that 2,4 D has residual effects in the soil even after a few weeks and serious tillage. I once used a pint of 2,4 D per acre along with glyphosate several weeks prior to planting pearl millet and the results were disastrous. I do use it prior to planting Corn with no negative results, mixed according to label instructions of course.

Do you know which weeds is there know and what weeds is likely to be a problem after the soybeans are growing ?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

A little dish soap in the spray will help the water/herbicide mixture stick to the leaves. It reduces the surface tension of water, which allows it to spred evenly over the leaves and not form droplets. 2,4-D and dicamba are similar, they are both growth regulator herbicides that attack broadleaf plants. Dicamba does give you a little more killing power, but it is much more expensive then 2,4-D as well. 2,4-D will also last a time period in soil, and soybeans should not be planted for at least 1 week after spraying 2,4-D.

If you are looking for a cheap way to kill all vegetation, mix roundup and 2-4,D together, you will like the results.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Well, it appears Soilman's post and mine is somewhat conflicting.

To try to clarify....it should be noted that 2,4 D as well as some other chemicals (in my experience) can and will react differently in many situations such as....soil type..composition, PH etc. And weather conditions.

What works excellent in one area or application, could be a failure in others.

Thanks and just my two pennies.....
Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with you Haystack. Spraying 2,4-D before soybeans is risky. Different formulations, weather, soil types, and rates do play into the amount of risk involved. The low volatility (LV4) formulation is less risky for soybeans, but there is certainly some risk. One week before planting would be a bare minimum assuming a low rate, and nice warm, sunny weather.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Soilman
I agree with you Haystack. Spraying 2,4-D before soybeans is risky. Different formulations, weather, soil types, and rates do play into the amount of risk involved. The low volatility (LV4) formulation is less risky for soybeans, but there is certainly some risk. One week before planting would be a bare minimum assuming a low rate, and nice warm, sunny weather.
I'm glad we could reach a consensus...

Another way to possibly mitigate injury to soybeans using 2,4 D would be to plant the seed a little deeper after the application and time period, and of course no incorporation prior to planting. Possibly........
Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Common burdock, curly dock, milk weed and more ragweed than I have ever seen before. The ragweed choked out my soybean and stunted the growth of my corn last year resulting in minimal yield in both. I will use the detergent as a surfactant as described and stick to the mixing directions on the 2,4-D label and spray both areas to be planted. I have nothing to lose as far as the soybean yield in comparison to last year, I will just wait 2 weeks and plant them deeper after spraying. Thanks Again Guys! This is the 3rd or 4th time you helped me out.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Common burdock, curly dock, milk weed and more ragweed than I have ever seen before. The ragweed choked out my soybean and stunted the growth of my corn last year resulting in minimal yield in both. I will use the detergent as a surfactant as described and stick to the mixing directions on the 2,4-D label and spray both areas to be planted. I have nothing to lose as far as the soybean yield in comparison to last year, I will just wait 2 weeks and plant them deeper after spraying. Thanks Again Guys! This is the 3rd or 4th time you helped me out.

You've definitely got a problem. Honestly even 2,4 D mixed with glyphosate will not kill the Milk Weed, Curly Dock or the Common Burdock. It will suppress it, it will burn it down to the ground but it won't kill it. Good news is the 2,4 D/gly mix will smoke the Ragweed. When new ragweed seedlings emerge later on, 2 qts of gly to the acre before the ragweed reaches 8 inches in height should put the hurt on it, but I've seen ragweed linger for weeks after the application, not quite dead, but not going anywhere either.

The best way that I know to kill and rid a field of tough perennial weeds such as milk weed, dock and others, is to use a mold board plow. That's not always practical but it's one of the few things that will work. Another possible method is to spot treat each plant with a hot dose of Tordon. There could options I'm not aware of also.

Good luck!! and let us know how it's going!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
You've definitely got a problem. Honestly even 2,4 D mixed with glyphosate will not kill the Milk Weed, Curly Dock or the Common Burdock. It will suppress it, it will burn it down to the ground but it won't kill it. Good news is the 2,4 D/gly mix will smoke the Ragweed. When new ragweed seedlings emerge later on, 2 qts of gly to the acre before the ragweed reaches 8 inches in height should put the hurt on it, but I've seen ragweed linger for weeks after the application, not quite dead, but not going anywhere either.

The best way that I know to kill and rid a field of tough perennial weeds such as milk weed, dock and others, is to use a mold board plow. That's not always practical but it's one of the few things that will work. Another possible method is to spot treat each plant with a hot dose of Tordon. There could options I'm not aware of also.

Good luck!! and let us know how it's going!
Thanks Haystack, now I am not as optimistic about getting rid of these nuisances. I would hate to tear up all the lush clover i have growing, it's coming in thick and looking good, I just cut it back to 8 inches over the weekend. I will attempt the spot treatment method in the clover and not sure about the rest. I have tried pulling the burdock out by the roots but it seems a shovel is needed to get the whole root out. Maybe I found my kids' next punishment the next time they misbehave. I'll put them to work in the field. The good thing is the milkweed is minimal, but the burdock is multiplying every year.
My No.1 priority is the ragweed. I have Round-Up Ready corn and soybean seed so I can treat the plots again later once the resilient plants start coming back. I did a test with the 2,4-D on Poison Ivy yesterday, today the plants have already begun to wilt and turn brown. I am anxious to see how it works on the other weeds. Thanks Again. By the way, checked my trail cam today and had a picture just like your avatar on it. The big fury bastards are already showing up at my feeders. I am guessing they'll start tearing up my cameras and feeders before too long.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont forget with 2-4-d watch out for drift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.