Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What kind of pines to plant?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default What kind of pines to plant?

I live in central Wisconsin and am looking to plant some pines just for some cover....more or less a wall between a corn field and a house....anyway...
when should i plant them? and what kind survive best?
it will be in sunlight no shade at all really......
thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I would plant the trees in early spring. Check with your county Land Conservation Department (LCD) to see if they have a spring tree sale. I have bought from them with good success (mom has a farm in WI). White cedar will get eaten fast, white pine will get browsed some. Good selections would be red pine, jack pine, and red cedar for poor soils. White spruce is good for average soil, black spruce is good on moist soil sites.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

I live close to where you are (WaupacaCo.) In fact I know some Wanty's White Pine is great and grows fast white spruce is a good game cover if its a wet area, Red Pine is real nice for higher ground. Get the trees from the co. or DNR we have about 12,000 pines planted.
Redclub
Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the WI DNR Nursery web site and order trees from them for delivery in Spring. Their prices are very reasonable (.50 per tree). I ordered 500 shrubs last year and just ordered the "Deer" wildlife pack for this coming year. This pack of 300 trees includes 100 white spruce which I'm planting for deer bedding areas. Spruce retain their lower limbs so the cover they provide will last a lifetime.

We planted red pine 15 years ago and they are so tall now the lower branches provide no cover at all.

The wildlife pack also comes with 100 Hazelnut and 100 White Oak. All for about 55 cents per tree.

Here's the DNR Nursery website.
http://dnr.wi.gov/forestry/Nursery/

Their minimum order is 500 trees or 1 wildlife packet which contains 300 trees/shrubs.