Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

starting a game farm

Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default starting a game farm

when im older as a second job im thinking of starting a game farm
im wondering what kind of education you need
and what colleges offer that
Old 10-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I would suggest you major in business. If you know how to run a business well, it will really help you out with your own business. Maybe you could work at a nearby game farm to see how they run their operation, or tour some where you could get an idea of how they operate and ask questions. I doubt there is a game farm degree.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think Mississippi State and Auburn have some kind of wildlife management courses, but I'm not sure if a degree in game farm management is available. Check on-line and see.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

yea i guessed they didnt have a game farm major
but like what about like a major in wildlife biology and like a minor in business or agriculture?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shottyhunter24
yea i guessed they didnt have a game farm major
but like what about like a major in wildlife biology and like a minor in business or agriculture?
I take it you are still in High school right? Do you have 4H club there or FFA?
Reason I ask is cause I found out about a lot of Agriculture stuff through the FFA. If you readers do not know FFA stands for Future Farmers of America.
The local Vocational School has many AG related certifications which can go a long way in convincing Banks to loan you money for investments. Take care and GOOD Luck

Last edited by Switchback_XT; 10-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Spike

I'd go with the business route with a minor in range science, animal science, or zoology. Wildlife bio or management is going to be strictly research based, and and with what you want to do you're going to need a lot of business experience. I grew up in central MN too, look into the U of M or Wis Stephens point for some great Natural resource programs and business programs if you want to stay local. Otherwise shoot me a pm, I start work on my masters degree in wildlife bio in a few months here and have really looked at many schools and programs in depth this year.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

i go to an inner city school so the closest thing we have to that is the trap club which i am in
Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Its up to you, but like it or not you will need to turn a profit, so taking a few small business management classes is always a good idea down the road.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

yea i think id do that so i can get a decent job and when my game farm career takes off ill continue that
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 AM
Spike

Post Starting a game farm

I highly recommend that you read the ebook STARTING A GAME FARM. The ebook STARTING A GAME FARM offers a holistic approach in putting up a game farm which helps newcomers so they can avoid beginner's mistakes.

Last edited by ariesjchan; 07-29-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.