Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What should i do with my life?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default What should i do with my life?

I am in college and i feel i am not in the right major i am undetermined and not doing as well as i know i can. I love the outdoors and i love working and working hard. i want to be successful and i want to be determined! i know that if i am studying something i love i will do better at it and i will be more determined and when i am determined i will be successful. I love hunting and managing wildlife, but i also want to make money. Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Go into something you like. Otherwise, you'll hate every minute of your work. Be advised, careers in the outdoors business is tough. Being a game warden isn't all it's cracked up to be. Your busiest time at work is during the best times to hunt. Also, I have friends I. The outdoors business, and once there, ou realize its not what you expect. A lot of corporate, fake, BS. If we could all make a living hunting, we'd be doing it. That's why it's a hobby for most.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice is to get through college graduating with some sort of respectable, general degree such as business administration instead of recreation. Then find a large company that has land holdings to manage for all types of activities including hunting or a company that designs and/or builds land features (reservoirs, dams, habitat improvement, etc.) and apply. Get your foot in the door with the company and move laterally if necessary to land the job position you desire.

My other piece of advice is to contact someone working for whichever company interests you and ask them to provide a normal workday. Do not rely on the interviewers to paint the picture of company morale, work ethics, practices, etc. It will not be easy to find an employee willing to give you the scoop.

Surveyors also get out in the field a lot.

The above is based on my own personal thoughts if I were given a do over. I'm a 44yo Civil Engineer that loves the outdoors, but spend 90% of my time behind a desk pushing paper.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Like RogersTV, I'd choose a different road if granted a replay.

I'd go to school in Denver & become a gunsmith, work, save & then open my own shop.

I've a couple customized guns & would love to build them my self, both shotguns & rifles. A shop with a good/master custom gun maker ALWAYS has orders & challenges.

A reasonably good income & I'd love every minute of it.

Money, beyond a certain point, is not what life should be about.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Do it early for you get too involved and stuck like me! I've got two associates degrees, and 80 credit hours towards a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and I absolutely hate it!

I work on cars for a living, in fact I have my Master Certification but its just a job, don't love it, but don't hate it. The problem is, is that Im not passionate about it any more and that it isn't something I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

Starting in the fall for a Bachelors degree in Environmental science and hopefully get a job with the parks department or even a Game warden.
Im $40k in the hole and now changing majors.... wish I would have listened to my heart instead of my father and changed years ago.