Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What fertilizer for soybeans?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Is that for both plots? If so it's not nearly enough. It's not really enough for even one of them. The 19% Nitrogen isn't going to do anything and the other two are just small amounts. 19% Phosphorus and 19% Potash per bag. I imagine you use (2) 50 pound bags?... It'll help but not that much. You really should get a soil sample.
Those bags are $19 a bag. I dont have a lot of money to put in to this like some guys do. Yes, they are (2) 50lb bags. When i spread it, it seemed like plenty. The guy at the elevator said that would be the perfect amount, if not 19-19-19 then use 12-12-12. The beans are growing good without the fertilizer and lime, im pretty sure theyll do good with what i put down.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

4-6-30 is what I put on mine. Avoid putting much nitrogen(assuming they were innoculated or you had beans on it in the last few years), it will only slow the formation of the nitrogen fixing nodules that will provide most of the 300 units/acre of nitrogen required for a decent crop. You might need more phoshorus than I did, soil test shows plenty for me. Soybeans need a good amount of potash to make a decent crop. I put 80 units/acre on mine, and probably could have used more. A decent soybean crop will use 50-60 units of potash.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kdsberman
Those bags are $19 a bag. I dont have a lot of money to put in to this like some guys do. Yes, they are (2) 50lb bags. When i spread it, it seemed like plenty. The guy at the elevator said that would be the perfect amount, if not 19-19-19 then use 12-12-12. The beans are growing good without the fertilizer and lime, im pretty sure theyll do good with what i put down.
I understand. You'll probably get a decent crop if they were growing fine before you added the fertilizer. It's a science. There's a reason people make huge money from food plot products. If you want a food plot like the ones you see in magazines, you have to do it correctly. But you and I will probably never have those kinds of resources.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 AM
Spike

You can try the fertilizer of Haifa Group, for more information read here: http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge...ean_yield.aspx
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

A bagged 6-24-24 blend is good, but a custom blend determined by a soil test is always best.

If I used a bagged blend & no soil test, I'd not use more than 120lbs per acre. With a soil test I'd use whatever it showed I needed for a high yield.

Note that I say a high yield, not a max one, to get the max seed yield is costly vs what it adds. Deer get the most use of the leaves & only secondary from seed.

So I'd go with a 80-85% of max recommendation. (except for lime, there you really need to apply all that is called for. If you don't the plants won't be able to fully use the other fertilizer you put on.)

Your local ag store is your friend in this. Remember, they really want you to be highly pleased with your results, that way they'll see you again & again for years to come.