Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Cutting clover/ rye grass...

Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cutting clover/ rye grass...

I'm growing a food plot this year and I'm wondering if and/or when you should mow/wheedwhack it down...?
The one plot is mostly rye grass with some brassicas and rape forage.. the other is a plot of Clover Plus... do either of these need to be mowed down..? It seems that a few weeds have come back in the plot and I dont want them to overrun the area....

So, you tell me fod plots guys, to mow or not to mow..?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cutting clover/ rye grass...

The clover should be mowed to no shorter than 8 inches and before it flowers. If it flowers it will regerminate itself but the clover will have a lower protein content if allowed to flower. I mow my clover usually 2 or at the most 3 times a year to keep it from flowering and then every 4th year I will let it flower and pollinate then after the flowers die I mow it to spread the seed reducing the need to replant purchased seed. The other stuff rape, brassicas, etc. can be left alone.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

The first year I cut mine 4 times to battle the weeds, each time without dropping the deck on my lawn tractor. This year its coming in strong and I have cut it before the flowering, at the same height as first year.

Here is the result this year. I plan on cutting at least once more, each time it seems to fill in.

Cutting is mandatory in the first year, if not spraying for weeds.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 PM

clover plus doesnt regerm from the seed, it is white clover enginerred to grow differently. it grows from the root. it needs to be mowed when it is not hot and will get rain soon. cutting it make it tender and more grazeable. cut it about 8 inchs like 4evr said. it will out grow the weeds over time. mow again in the fall.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before mowing "clover plot" if thats what you wanna call it.. When this 1st picture was taken the clover was being almost completely choked out by the grass..

After fertilizer and 2 mowings: