Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

??? on soybeans

Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ??? on soybeans

whats the best way to plant soybeans.... broadcast an drag over.... or what? ...is there soybeans better than others?>
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ??? on soybeans

Dave, I prefer the no-till method, but planting in tilled ground works well also. Broadcast, I sow around 70lbs per acre for food plots. They can be planted 1 to 2" deep. I have sowed, then lightly disked and had real good luck. I have also sowed on tilled ground and just rode over them with a tractor (atv will work) and just pushed them down in the soil, its best to do this right before a good rain. Birds might decide to eat them if they are visible, but they will sprout and grow in wet soil.

As far as which kind is best, I like the Round-up Ready/RR because it is so much easier to control weeds. This year I'm planting the bush type or grain beans. But there is a gentleman on this forum selling the forage type soybeans that I hear a lot of possitives about. I would have tried some this year, but I had already purchased seed.

Which ever you decide, its best to use an inoculate on the seed right before planting. And I have gotten by with out any fertilize applied also, although some would be best.

One other thing, they may not work to well if your plot is small and your deer density is high. They will eat them off as fast as they come up!!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

No-till drilling them is the best for food plots and the soils. Broadcasting and lightly disking ordraggingto get them about 1 inch deep may be your best alternative by the way it sounds though.

I'm partial to the forage beans that I sell, but that is due to more than the fact that I make a few (literally just a few) bucks off of them. It is because I have seen them peform. They are an amazing plant. As long as they get a chance to get established, they should outperform any other beans planted right next to them.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I just planted RoundUp Ready Soybeans 2 weeks ago. We had alot of rain after and they are already 3 inches high across most of the field. I broadcast the seeds after we went over the ground with a disk, then drug a harrow over the plot to lightly cover the seeds. Even the seeds that hadn't been covered have sprouted and the plants are doing well. The clover I planted a few days later is not doing nearly as well at this stage.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

drill them in
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

We planted our soybeans about 10 days ago with a two row planter. Planted them about 70,000 per acre, and they are 3 inches above the ground. Louisiana Soybeans.... We planted them around 1 to 1.5" in the ground. I will get some pics later and post them when i Get a chance.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: USFWC

No-till drilling them is the best for food plots and the soils. Broadcasting and lightly disking ordraggingto get them about 1 inch deep may be your best alternative by the way it sounds though.

I'm partial to the forage beans that I sell, but that is due to more than the fact that I make a few (literally just a few) bucks off of them. It is because I have seen them peform. They are an amazing plant. As long as they get a chance to get established, they should outperform any other beans planted right next to them.
I'm a rookie to all this. What do you mean when you say no-till drilling?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

The ground that the plot is located isn't worked up. It isn't plowed, nor disked, nor chiselled. Any vegatation that is there is simply killed by chemicals.

When you are ready to drill your soybeans, use a cordless drill with a long 3/8' drill bit. Drill a hole about 1.5 inches deep into the soil and drop your soybean seed in the hole. You'd probably want to use a spade bit. When the spade is completely under the ground, that's about 1.5 inches. Then move on another 3-4 inches and repeat the process to make your row. Rows are normally spaced 30-32 inches apart. Although you can space them 15 inches and have a quicker canopy.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: psandhu

The ground that the plot is located isn't worked up. It isn't plowed, nor disked, nor chiselled. Any vegatation that is there is simply killed by chemicals.

When you are ready to drill your soybeans, use a cordless drill with a long 3/8' drill bit. Drill a hole about 1.5 inches deep into the soil and drop your soybean seed in the hole. You'd probably want to use a spade bit. When the spade is completely under the ground, that's about 1.5 inches. Then move on another 3-4 inches and repeat the process to make your row. Rows are normally spaced 30-32 inches apart. Although you can space them 15 inches and have a quicker canopy.
Okay thanks! So this probably wouldn't be the preferred method if I was planning to lime and fertilize the soil right?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

"A no-till drill is the perfect tool for planting plots. It works great with soybeans, corn, clover, alfalfa, wheat, etc. You can plant nearly any grain or grass seed with a no-till drill."

Soybeans that I'm in the process of planting for food plots come in 60# bags, 3150 seeds per pound. I use 70# per acre, which works out to 220,000 seeds per acre.

Ag type no-till drills can be rented at co-ops, in my area, for 6 to 7 dollars an acre.

This is a no-till drill used by many food plotters.