Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sweet corn and Apple Trees

Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sweet corn and Apple Trees

I ended up getting "sugar buns"sweet corn,an se hybrid that I believe is a mid-late hybrid (correct me if I'm wrong). I was wondering about any early hybrids that I can plant in another sectionthat won't have cross-pollination problems??

We have had a lot of moisture, and temps still in the mid fifties, so I am going to wait until May/June to plant the "sugar buns". It needs pretty warm soil temps to germinate anyway..but I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on an early hybrid?

As you can see, we have had a lot of moisture. I waiting till things dry up to finish working the soil. I figure I'll just use the roto-tiller and old fashioned row planterfor this spot. I still plan on protecting this one from the deer, so I got some T-posts up before another thunderstorm. Still looking into products that would work well as nettingand not look bad.Any suggestions I'm open to them..

I also plan on protecting some young apple trees until they get established.

I planted 2 new trees yesterday as well. A semi-dwarf yellow delicious and another profusion crabapple to help pollination. Still need to get these protected, and staked down so they grow straight. I always try to keep the root ball about 2 inches above ground level, but the profusion crab apple didn't even have a root ball

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated
Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sweet corn and Apple Trees

Im no expert, but itwould be sweet if you could get a small orchard going in the next 5 years. The deer would pound it.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Bowman, On the sweet corn, I used to grow sugar buns, it is a little finicky with soil temps. It also does not get very tall, making the ears especially vulnerable to 'coons and skunks. But it has won many taste competitions.

One that I prefer now that does tolerate cooler soils and is very hardy all the way around is called Ambrosia (se) it is a bi-color also. Kandy Korn (se) is another tall and very hardy yellow corn. Any of the (su) type will do better planted early than the others, but the taste is not as good IMO.

I see nothing wrong with you apple trees, deer protection is key at that stage. My favorite late maturing apple is called a York, it ripens in october in my area and will stay good and crisp till january.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have never grown "sugar buns," but I have a lot of experience with SE (sugar enhanced) varieties. The SE varieties are great for us northerners, they take colder soil. They will germinate to soil temps of about 55-60. Sugar buns is a 72 day corn (takes about 72 days from emergence to maturity). That is a mid-early hybrid. Shorter day hybrids usually have smaller ears, and are not as sweet. The 72 day corn is a good compromise on the early maturity and nice cob size trade-off.In earlier maturing varieties, theplant just doesn't have enough time to make big sweet ears. I would make 2-4 plantings of sugar buns, about 1 week apart (if practical). That would stagger the maturity of the sweetcorn, and give you some insurance against early season cold spells. If anything, I would pick a later maturity variety (something in the 80-85 day range). If you do want another variety, any SE hybrid will work just fine. Any garden supply site (Gurney's, Jung, Stokes, etc.) will have their varieties labeled. Their catalogs can really help you decide which varieties may work best for you.

The fence works great for protecting small fruit trees from deer. I have done that myself. You may have rabbit and mouse issues though. Protecting the trunks from chewing critters in winter may be a good idea. Consider a plastic sleeve around the trunk to discourage the little knawing pests.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haystack--thanks for the info that is helpful. I was looking at Kandy Corn in Gurneys catalog.

Soilman- also good info, I am going to make 3 or 4 planting up until mid June probably.

Thanks guys I am going to save your answers to a word document so I can have this info down the road
So if I plant Kandy Korn (I like hearing it is hardy and grows tall), there won;t be any problems with the sugar buns in terms of cross-pollination?
Or does that problem onlt arise with field corn/sweet corn?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

No I have grown both together without problems. 2 reasons, they are both (se) and they mature at different times. 72 days for the sugar buns and 85 for the Kandy Korn. Those maturity dates vary also depending on the year. The (sh2) are the most vulnerable for cross pollination. But I would not let any besides the (su) pollinate with field corn.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

"Sweet Corn Seed - Kandy Korn Hybrid (se) Sweet Corn" Gurney's says it is an SE, so there will be no cross pollination problems. Cross polination issues can arise between different sweetcorn hybrid types. Sh2 hybrids are especially sensitive to cross polination. Anything other than another sh2 will cause problems. I can vouch for Kandy Korn as well. A client of mine grew it from my crop scouting days, and it is fabulous.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Im no expert, but itwould be sweet if you could get a small orchard going in the next 5 years. The deer would pound it.
Thats the plan..More of a long term goal..

haystack and soilman.. ThanksI will be planting both of them then..
Old 03-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

You know it must work if a guy that works for the government agrees with a farmer!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

I hear ya Soilman, but something tells me you are not the average G-man

Quick Reply: Sweet corn and Apple Trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.