Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

To late to plant a Food Plot in NY?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Default To late to plant a Food Plot in NY?

Is it too late to plant 1/2 acre food plot of clover, it has been a very rainy summer and i think it would have enough water but would it reach prime status by october? I read about clover and it seems to do the mots for the herd in the summer and dont last good in november to febuary. So is it too late for a food plot of clover this year, if so is there any other type of deer food that i can plant now.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To late to plant a Food Plot in NY?

I planted late last year and it did not do worth a diddly until this year. I'd say the clover is a little late. But if you planted turnips right now, you should be golden.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to replant a couple of acres next week in rape and purple top turnips.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

I also planted my first few plotsa couple years agolate in the summer .
Only thing we did get much rain after I finished them , so they did do well until the next summer .
I planted buck forage oats late last summer around the middle of August and it did great and the deer loved it .
I, m planting more in the next week or so .
P.S. they also hammer the turups .
I.m in N ,NY.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way the rain has been this year in NY - you could plant clover all summer so far. I just planted a small plot - and plan to plant another in 2 weeks - but understand that I don't expect much from these plots until NEXT Spring/summer. Sure you'll get some growth for this fall - but it will pale compared to what you'll get in year #2 in NY (talking White clovers here) -

A Brassica/clover mis is a good plan right now - the brassicas grow fast and can provide a super late fall plot - and the clovers establish - and can be great next year. Even a Rye/clover or oats/clover plot planted the end of August is a good plan.

FH
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I planted antler king mix and alfalfa at the end of june it grew crazy with the rain we have had, the deer have been pounding that I see 6-8 every night in it and that before dark, I fenced in a portion nad they have trimmed everythign at least 10 inches already.I plan to put in the beets and turnip mix around the perimeter and in a smaller location in a couple weeks for the fall planting. I would say with the rain as long as your soils are good you should get good 1st year results, remember it does take deer some time to adjust to the new food source so you may not see them jump on it as soon as it pops. I have mine in direct route form the bedding to the crp field so they pass through and munch it up on the way.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Bowtech 360,
I would hold off on the clover. Not saying it would not work but I wouldwait till next spring for clover. I am planting our fall plots this weekend.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Fall is an excellent time to plant clover.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

the deer wont get much out of it this year but it will continue to put roots down and be strog in the spring
Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer won't get much outta it this yr.??
I disagree, if the soils prepared right it'll come up & get utilized. My clover plots stay nice & green right until they are covered with snow here in NY.The deer dig in them after snow has hit until it becomes too deep. Come spring I find deer crap all over in them!

Quick Reply: To late to plant a Food Plot in NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.