Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Best winter food plot, and when to plant? >

Best winter food plot, and when to plant?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best winter food plot, and when to plant?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best winter food plot, and when to plant?

I was getting a couple 1 acre plots ready and tested, and all the tests came back good from cabelas. I don't really know what to plant and when to plant it though. We have some clover fields all ready but we wanted some good plots to attract them in then fall, and winter. Give me some ideas of best stuff to plant, and when should I plant it? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best winter food plot, and when to plant?

What region of the country are you in? This info will make a huge impact on exactly what you can plant.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Southern Ohio
Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, I've found that the most effective fall/hunting plots would be a soybean mix, an oats/wheat blend or possibly even a brassica blend if you want a plot that won't turn on until the later season. I've had outstanding results with late planted soybeans and this has been better than any of the commercial blends I've ever tried. Also, Buck Forage Oats have been successful for us as well. All in all though, if i could only have one planting to hunt over all season long then I would opt for Bio-Logic Bio-Maxx. This stuff will attract and hold deer from our opener (Oct 1) through the close of our season in mid Jan.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to look at what you have planted around your property first. If there are larges fields of beans and corn a few small food plots arent gonna be able to compete with the big agricultural fields. What I like to do is try and find something different that the deer cant get anywhere else. Sometimes Ill plant a rape/turnip mix, sometimes biologic, sometimes forage oats, they all work great you just have to offer the deer something they really like that they cant get elswhere.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthru79

You need to look at what you have planted around your property first. If there are larges fields of beans and corn a few small food plots arent gonna be able to compete with the big agricultural fields. What I like to do is try and find something different that the deer cant get anywhere else. Sometimes Ill plant a rape/turnip mix, sometimes biologic, sometimes forage oats, they all work great you just have to offer the deer something they really like that they cant get elswhere.
I havent found this tobe the case at all in my area. As you know, this region of IL is extremely well known for its large ag fields of corn, beans and alfalfa but its not rather they are offered but IF they are still offered as a standing crop come hunting season. I've planted numerous plots over the past severl years consisting of Buck Forage Oats, numerous Brassicas, different varieties of wheat and other fall "hunting plots" but still nothing has compared to the attractiveness of standing corn/beans come hunting season in my area. One of our 1 1/2acre plots of Bio-Maxx is located only 50 yards away from a 100 acre cornfield and the deer wont stay out of this plot come October. Just our experience