Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

when to spread lime

Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default when to spread lime

I have land in northern MI and was wondering when the best time to put lime down was. I was up there 2 weeks ago and we still had a foot of snow but I am going up again in 2 weeks and most of it should be gone. Should I throw it down then or wait until mid May before i put it down.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: when to spread lime

I'm putting some down this weekend. Most people like to get it down in the fall. But I have a problem with run-off. You can actually do it anytime though.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got off of the phone with a guy from the whitetail institute. Had a great conversation too! He said that lime should be put down right before you disk your food plot area. He says that lime will Not be very effective unless it is put in the soil 3-4 inches. Good luck! I am in Ludington and from what he told me I am not doing anything until I get the results from my Soil test!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Hydrated lime will take approximately 6-months to move the Ph level of your soil. You can put out quick release granualized lime at any time, and the results can be seen in as little as one month.

Take time to do a soil sample and get the results so you know what to put out and when.

Steve Pittman
www.myranchsite.com

Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Muliefever
He said that lime should be put down right before you disk your food plot area. He says that lime will Not be very effective unless it is put in the soil 3-4 inches.
+1

we typically disk disk plow and disk, spread the lime, then redisk in order to get the lime a couple inches in.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always had mine spread in early fall, when its still dry enuogh for truck to gt in ok. Like to let the snow melt work it down in good, and plant in spring. Your fertilizing will not be fully effective if the soil hasn't absorbed the lime, and soil ph is correct.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

This lime will actually be for a fall plot not a spring plot, i usually plant in mid august and I plant oats. I bought some bags of pelleted high calcium concentrate lime. That's all they sell for food plots around here. The lady said this would work best for my kind of plot.