Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Food Plot Grass & weed control. Arrest, Poast or grass getter >

Food Plot Grass & weed control. Arrest, Poast or grass getter

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Grass & weed control. Arrest, Poast or grass getter

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plot Grass & weed control. Arrest, Poast or grass getter

what are you guys using to control grass and weeds in your food plots. I've read a lot of great things about poast and it'sa lot cheaper than arrest. However, now I see poast have been bought by "grass getter". Anyone use grass getter yet? How does it work and is there a good place to get it online???
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plot Grass & weed control. Arrest, Poast or grass getter

Started using Poast Plus this year. Hit the clover twice, it worked great on the perennial grasses, then the annuals grasses came up and I hit it again. It worked really well killing volunteer RR corn in the RR soybean plot.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have grasses growing in a clover patch I just use round up.

Let the grasses get tall and in my sprayer I mix 1/2 a quart of round up with 25 gallons of water and spray it lightly. It will take a week or so but the grasses will die off then you can mow and the clover will be fine.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

sounds a little risky to use round up on a clover plot. Especially, when they make herbicides that kill grass and don't harm clover and not to mention how much time I have in my plot. A lot of A$$ busting labor.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been doing it for years and a 2.5 gallon can of ranger "generic roundup " cost just $35.00 which is a song compared to what you are spending.
Clover is the hardest thing to kill in a food plot. I have a couple of acres of whitetail clover that is five years old this year and I'm still trying to kill all of it off to replant in buckwheat.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

hmm, I didn't realize it was that hard to kill. Good to know. As far as cost poast plusonly cost $10/ acre compared to arrest which is $45/acre.To be honest I'm nottoo concerned about the cost. I justwant to make sure I'm getting to most bang for my buck and not going to kill my new plots that I just spent a lot of time on.

THANKS
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your clover is young the hardest thing on it is mowing. make sure the blades are sharp , if not you will pull the roots out. Mowing after a rain helps also.
I don,t know where you are located but a good liming in the winter is a big help to clover. And after a few years the nitrogen that the clover puts back into the ground makes for a great place to plant corn in the future.

If you use a fertilizer like 0 - 14 -40 you will avoid adding nitrogen to your plot as the nitrogen encourages weed growth.

Good luck , Jim
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in upstate NY and have applied some 0-20-20. I plan on liming soon. Am just trying to figure out what type, liqiud or pellets as I don't have a spreader for ag lime.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kirch

I'm in upstate NY and have applied some 0-20-20. I plan on liming soon. Am just trying to figure out what type, liquid or pellets as I don't have a spreader for ag lime.
Pellets are expensive ,and I have never done liquid nor heard of liquid lime .I have a truck come in in the middle of winter or on a dry fall day a spread it 12 tons at a time.

Good luck , Jim
Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I'll have to look into that. I'm in the mountains....... not much farming going on here. However, is some with in 30-40minutes. Soa truck comes and spreads all your lime?
What type of spreader do you need for ag lime? I have a tractor w/ 3 pt and PTO maybe I'll look for a used one.

Quick Reply: Food Plot Grass & weed control. Arrest, Poast or grass getter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.