Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sink Hole

Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Sink Hole

Our pond has been dropping for months and it finally is low enough that we can see the problem. There is a sinkhole about 3 foot across sucking water out. We lined the bottom of the pond with about 2 foot of clay, but there is alot of sand under it and I think that there is an underground spring that is pulling all the sand and clay down through it. We are going to try and dig out the area atleast six feet deep and cram it full of clay. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sink Hole

If you have an underground spring like that I doubt you will be able to stop up the hole for long. A rubber liner might work, but they are expensive. Don't sound good.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking the same thing, it is probably just going to keep sucking away what ever we put in it. We might try multiple things like putting concrete in it,then put down a lineing, and then finish it off with a couple feet of clay. It might be hopeless but I have a hard time just not doing anything.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is an underground spring, why not dig down to it and leave it open for an endless supply of fresh spring water.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

Our pond has been dropping for months and it finally is low enough that we can see the problem. There is a sinkhole about 3 foot across sucking water out. We lined the bottom of the pond with about 2 foot of clay, but there is alot of sand under it and I think that there is an underground spring that is pulling all the sand and clay down through it. We are going to try and dig out the area atleast six feet deep and cram it full of clay. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
We've had one doing the same for 20 yrs. and never have been successful in plugging it. Filled in 4 ft. of clay over entire bottom.[:@]Good luck.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 AM

I suggest you cut your losses! You may be able to temporarily stop the leak, but if it is a true sinkhole you would be wasting time and money trying to stop the leak. Sinkholes are great places for ponds until they leak and then it is all over.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did your sink hole look like this one ?

http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?t=3424

Dan O.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 PM

YOU NEED TO PUMP THE POND OUT AND THEN DIG IT OUT DEEPER SO THE SPRING WILL FILL IT UP INSTAED OF DRAINING IT DRY. TRUST ME IT WILL WORK. THE SPRING WILL STILL BE THERE BUT IT WILL OPERATE IN A DIFFERENT WAY.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

A spring, by definition, is where waterdischarges out of the ground. A spring can't suck water into the ground. A recharge area is where the water goes into the ground. A recharge area occurs where you have very permiable soil such as sand or an area of fractured bedrock where water can run in from the surface. If it is a sandy layer, you'll have todig it out to a depth of about 3 feet below the planned bottom of your pond and repack with clay or even a layer of bentinite, which is an extremely water-tight clay. If you have fractured bedrock, you'll have toexcavate it down to the cracks and seal them with bentinite.