Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too much lime?

Old 01-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Too much lime?

Well, about two weeks ago I spread 1200# of pelletized lime on my .75 acre plot. There was a big snow/ice storm predicted and I wanted to get the lime down before it hit. Everything went smoothly, but I got my soil report back from the extension yesterday and they said that my soil pH was already sitting at 6.5. If nothing else, I think that what I did just moved it a little closer to 7.0, but is it possible that it was too much?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too much lime?

Probably not too much, depends on what crop you are going to plant.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on soils, it takes a lot of lime to move, and keep, ph up. It probably won't hurt to have your ph a little above 7 . Basic soil does a better job of releasing nutrients.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Basic soil does a better job of releasing nutrients.
Not true. A high ph will cause the phosphorous to bind to the soil. So yes you may have put too much! Why did you spread before you got the results? You take soil tests so you can add precisely the amount you need without wasting time and money.

My soil has a high amount of Ca and is 7.3 ph and I have to add a lot of P for clover and alfalfa.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a great chart to show how pH affects nutrient availability:

http://www.avocadosource.com/tools/FertCalc_files/pH.htm

In my area it affects the boron levels to the point that alfalfa doesn't grow well without borate additions.

Dan O.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Well, I limed because everything I've read indicates that it takes 3-6 months to affect soil pH. I want to plant in March/April. Also, there was an ice/snow storm predicted and moisture has been hard to come by around here for quite some time. Didn't want to miss the opportunity for the melting to help leach the lime down into the soil. I've seen some charts that show how much lime per acre will affect pH in different types of soils, but now I can't find one. I'm pretty sure, though, that with my soil type it requires a ton per acre to bump pH .5 points. Basically, I got to excited to wait for the results to come back. Oh well, it's mainly an excuse to get out on the land after season's over with anyway.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can almost guarantee you that you didn't put too much lime on. You probably don't need to put anymore on for a while, though.

I would love to have some 6 or 7 PH soil. Here the farmland has been farmed and fertilized so long, it's not uncommon to see PH in the 5 range.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:33 AM

Spoke to a guy at the Whitetail Institute yesterday, and he thought that adding the lime would only help. Guess I'll find out when I sample again later in the year.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:10 PM

look on your soil test and find a number that says CEC. If you give me this number I can come close to telling you what you probably moved your pH to. Personally, I hate to see anything over 6.7. 6.3 to 6.5 is more than adequate for all crops but alfalfa and you aren't going to be able to tell the difference even down to 5.8/6.0. I think the seed companies are kind of overdoing it and a lot of people are spending money unwisely. Don't get me wrong, if the soil needs it do it but the guidelines are kind of misleading.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you get it tested again if it is too high then spread a little Manganese on it to neutralize it, should be o.k. though.

Quick Reply: Too much lime?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.