Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Siberian Pea Tree

Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Siberian Pea Tree

A while ago there was a post on here about the Siberian Pea Tree or Caragana that someone suggested as a deer browes.Has anyone else here heard about this tree/bush? I gather by the name it would grow here in Wisconsin.

Konk
Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Siberian Pea Tree

I think it was actually called the Siberian Pee Tree and they were warning people not to walk underneath it because it will...well

...actually I have never heard of it. Deer will browse about anything though, so using something native would be my first recommendation to you. Non-native species can cause all kinds of problems from becoming invasive to introducing new diseases and insects.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Siberian Pea Tree

caragana is a tough bush that grows about 12 -15 feet high. It will tolerate tough ND winters, drought, grasshoppers, and catches a lot of snow.

I have some on my yard that my grandfather planted and I am guessing they are nearly 75 years old or older and still going strong.

I can not say that deer prefer them, but they offer a great deal of shelter and cover.