Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Feed Mix?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Feed Mix?

Anyone mix their own deer feed? What do you use?

I saw that Purina makes a deer feed pellet, but wondered if i could do the same by getting some sheep feed or something.

I plan on making a mixture of corn, trace minerals, and some type of protein pellet. The deer in my area are accustomed to a lot of corn, but i want to make it more nutrious for them.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Feed Mix?

If you are going to use troughs the pellet food will work nicely (in spin feeder containers it tends to mold). Compare prices on your mix verses the deer feed. You might be as well off buying the premix feed. Sweet feed for horses and cows with some soybeans might work well, just make sure there is a top on the troughs to keep the feed dry.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

The Purina Deer Chow is water repellent and it's one of the best Deer feeds. Purina set the Standards to all Feeds.

I have Goats and the Deer also like Purina Goat Chow, but the troughs are in a Goat Shed and does not get wet.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:05 AM

Been playing with a stump feeder since last march and have a new 230# hanging feeder on its way here now that I plan on putting up soon. If you can afford it, Reb introduced me to the Purina Deer chow also and went and looked at it in or local supply and it seems like it is good stuff. It is supposed to have 20% protein in it and also have lots of the others for deer racks too, like calcium and phosphorus. If you have the money then I would fill it with that. But I am trying to save a few bucks and will be making my own mix. I plan on doing a 25% mix of corn, rolled oats, Deer Chow, and soybeans. I will put the link at the bottom that I found on here that will tell more about them, but soybeans are supposed to be the highest in protein. Ranging from 35 to 45%! Read the link to get more details. Making my own mix will save me about 25% on the cost but its worth a try for me. But from what others like Reb and people at the local supply say the deer chow is good stuff and they eat it up well too!

http://www.deerhunters.net/articles/nutrition.htm

Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Jason, that will also work well, but I would use Cracked Corn instead of Whole Corn.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Jason, that will also work well, but I would use Cracked Corn instead of Whole Corn.

I have been thinking about that to since Don mentioned it the other day.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was outta corn so i bought some "rainshield" deer pellets in addition to corn today. Mixed it in a 3-1 ratio, and will probably increase it when the deer start eating it. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Been watching 5-6 good 3.5&4.5 yr old deer on my land, they've all made it through the season, and will be well nurished this year... cant wait to see what they turn into!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

The pellets in a drum will mold and clog up your feeder.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i put it out by hand, no feeders,
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM

In North Texas, the feed stores sell straight soybeans $10 per bag 35-40% protein or a mix of soybean and corn for $8.50 per bag. Cost quite a bit more than corn, but I think the protein increase will dramatically help our deer out.

Quick Reply: Deer Feed Mix?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.