Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Where to buy lime

Old 01-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Where to buy lime

I was just wondering where i could get lime from? for my plot i need about half a ton, if i remember correctly, and if i make it bigger i need more. i live in the suburbs so i don't know much about farming. i'm pretty much set to make a plot, got the soil test and everything, i just don't know where to get that much lime. do i need to have someone come in with a truck and spread it?

i could get pellitized lime buy the bag but that wouldn't be very economical.

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Default RE: Where to buy lime

I have a farm in Virginia and get my fertilizer and lime from my Southern States Co-op.
I looked and they have a Northeast partner called Agway and Agway has dealers on Long Island. You could try their web site.[link]http://www.agway.com[/link]
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same problem, this is what i did last year. Home Depot sells 80 lb. bags of lime. Half a ton is 1000 pounds. That comes to about 13 bags of lime from home depot. I paid about $2.50 per bag. I don't know if this is cost effective or even correct, but it made sense to me. This was powdered lime. It would be great to hear whether this is correct or if I am missing something. When I first hear of weight expressed in 'tons' I got nerveous. Then I did the math and it didn't seem so bad. It would be great to hear from the experienced guys if this is correct, and the benefits/drawbacks of pelletized vs. powdered lime.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Probably the home depot will be a good choice since there probably isnt any farm stores by you.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: beaverdamva

I have a farm in Virginia and get my fertilizer and lime from my Southern States Co-op.
I looked and they have a Northeast partner called Agway and Agway has dealers on Long Island. You could try their web site.http://www.agway.com
i actually went to an agway near me looking for it last summer. when i got there they had nothing left b/c they were switching to an equine supply store. i should check other ones though.

as for home depot, if it is that cheap i could just do that. i thought it was more costly than that but heck if it is only $2.50/bag its worth it.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lowes also sells it and I bet it is more than 2.59 abag probably $3.50 for a 40# bag of ground burnt limestone.... which is what you want, and no truck will come out for a half acre, spread it with a drop spreader as a spinner spreader is no good except for pelleted lime...
Old 01-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buying lime by the bag is way too expensive for me. I always buy it in bulk. I pay $36 a ton/spreadfrom a local Co-Op. I'd would check your county for a Co-Op. Most have one here in NYS. If you don't have a Co-op check with with agriculture lime & fertilzer companies. Farmers certainly don't buy it by the bag from Home-Depot or Lowes. Most companies will deliver & spread it for around $45-60 a ton.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buck Alley we spread lime ourselves, we get it delivered by 22 ton load, we spread 6000 acres , we do 2000 acres each year eevery 3rd year , I wonder how many 40# bags of lime that would be....
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Where do I start??? The application or spreading of lime depends on how much acreage you need to work. Pelletized lime would certainly be easy for 1 ac. or less, but anything bigger than that would be very costly and time consuming. Here in Texas I can buy a ton of (50%) powered lime for $2.50, so if I going to lime 10 acres at 2 ton per acre it would cost $50 for 20 tons plus delivery and spreading.

Pelletized lime takes alot longer to be absorbed into the ground compared to powdered. For either application process you need to make sure the surface is plowed, and after application replow. Yes, it is as time consuming as it seems, but I'm going to have to lime my place in the upcoming months, so I share your pain.

I hope that helps, let me know if I can answer any other questions.

ORIGINAL: NiceAndBlue

I was just wondering where i could get lime from? for my plot i need about half a ton, if i remember correctly, and if i make it bigger i need more. i live in the suburbs so i don't know much about farming. i'm pretty much set to make a plot, got the soil test and everything, i just don't know where to get that much lime. do i need to have someone come in with a truck and spread it?

i could get pellitized lime buy the bag but that wouldn't be very economical.

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

RonM, it would take 11,000 bags of lime, at 40 pounds per bag, to make 22 tons.