Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Deer selection and premium antler growth! >

Deer selection and premium antler growth!

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer selection and premium antler growth!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer selection and premium antler growth!

All of my knowledge has been obtained from outside sources, Huntingnet.com being one of them.Here is a link that has helped me put some obvious questions in stone.
Will hopefully answer future questions. I've seen so many questions that this site clearly and definitly answers. This will probably be repeatative for those old-timers but still educational
http://www.kerrlake.com/deer/trophy.htm
[hr]

enjoy
Old 01-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer selection and premium antler growth!

Now does any one agree with the statement
Only harvest spike deer, doe deer and of course trophy bucks.
I've always heard leave the spikes, In fact I try to only take bucks scoring over 100 points

What do you guys think??
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

I personally let all spike go this year. And if you are managing for trophy status why shoot a 100 incher?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: lpv77

I personally let all spike go this year. And if you are managing for trophy status why shoot a 100 incher?
You have to remember, a "trophy" isn't the same for everyone. I have 4 bucks mounted, only one goes over 100" and the other 3 were "trophy" enough for me to shoot and mount. They each have a specific memory behind them.

A spike can and will become a "trophy" depending on who is the shooter. Given the years, a spike can reach record book proportions however it goes without saying that a 1.5 year old spike doesn't have the same genetic make up of a 1.5 year old 8 point. The 8 point might make trophy status as a 2.5 year old and were as the spike might need another year to become a 3.5 year old "trophy". Again, depending on whose the shooter.

A trophy means too many things.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spikes: Here's what I've read in a study in American Whitetail Magazine. Spikes don't always grow up to be worthless racks. The study conducted was conducted on wild deer and a good portion of the spikes they tagged grew into nice deer with racks sometimes exceeding 140". Now if you're a die hard trophy hunter, 140 may not be what you're looking for and you just want bigger. Personally I'll let them grow because of what I've read. I believe it was a november or december magazine from NAW.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: lpv77

[/blockquote]

You have to remember, a "trophy" isn't the same for everyone. I have 4 bucks mounted, only one goes over 100" and the other 3 were "trophy" enough for me to shoot and mount. They each have a specific memory behind them.
I too only have 3 Bucks mounted/Dry skulled and I set that standard for myself hopefully I will get the chance to get one over 130 or more, If I can I'm sure my bar will certainly raise.
[hr]

two steps forward one step back>><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Old 01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I understand that "trophy" can be a personal preference, But you can speak to almost any avid whitetail hunter and mention trophy deer and a pope will come to mind. At least all the people I know.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally disagreed w/ many points in that article. The two most obvious were "A buck reaches his potential at 3years" and "shoot spikes."

What is this guy talking about??? At three years a bucks body is not mature nor is his rack. And spikes can and will grow to be trophy size.

Oh yeah, whoever typed this needs a serious case of spellcheck.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I understand that "trophy" can be a personal preference, But you can speak to almost any avid whitetail hunter and mention trophy deer and a pope will come to mind. At least all the people I know.
so your saying more than most mounts by hunters in this forum are not trophys? World class trophys and realistic trophys are two different things. If you were ever thrilled enough to get a deer mounted, Thats a trophy in my Book. Hopefully by the time I go... I will have plenty-a-trophy even if they're not pope and young!

[hr]
Belive me, I'm avid!

One mans trash is another mans treasure
Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another point that I'm not sure of. I read an article a few months ago where the researchers put an even number of does and bucks intwo or threelarge pens. After the fawns were born the following year they used DNA to check the bucks, and surprisingly just a few of the bucks did most of the breeding and they were not the biggest bucks dominating the most number of fawns.

Quick Reply: Deer selection and premium antler growth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.