Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Cutting Clover Question

Old 07-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Default Cutting Clover Question

My clover plot is doing very good. I planted last August, and frost seededlast March. I have brushhogged the plot three times this summer, and I intend to cut it at least one more time. One positive thing about cutting the clover is every time I cut, I have less weeds and grasses in the clover plot. I have been cutting the clover at about 10 inches. My question is since I have both red and white clover and they call for different cutting heights, at what height should I cut the clover and when should I make the last cut?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Cutting Clover Question

Mowman, if you post your location we can better assist you. Otherwise, we're only guessing. If I were you I would not cut my plot any later than three weeks before the historic first frost. That way it can recover from the cutting with new growth before a frost stops it's growth. If the mowing height your using works go for it.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Criggster is right it would be helpful if we knew your locale.

Also - Red clover is usually a two year crop at best. Lots of farmers use it as an annual. When I've mixed in red clovers with whites in the past - I did like you - and I managed the first year for the red clover - and cut high. (1 ft approx). The next years after - I managed it as if it were a white clover plot and mowed to 6" (sometimes lower).

Most often now - I don't mix whites and red clover. Last year I did a spring planting of white clover - and mixed in Crimson Clover - I liked that - the Crimson grew faster than the slow growing White clover - and not much taller. We even had some still mixed in early this summer before it faded away.

FH
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Mowman's property is in NE Penna.