Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

corn vs. apples

Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Default corn vs. apples

If you were just going to put out some corn or apples on the ground (not growing them) to try to get some trailcam pics which do you think would work better to attract deer?????
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: corn vs. apples

Corn , it's cheaper than apples and doesn't spoil unless it gets wet .
Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 AM

WE 'VE BEEN USING TRAIL CAMS FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS AND FIND WE GET EXCELLENT RESULTS BY USING A STUMP WITH A MINERAL FOR DEER AND COVER THE STUMP FIRSR WITH EITHER STUMP LICKER OR MOLASSES BOTH OF WHICH CAN BE BOUGHT AT GANDER MOUTAIN OR WAL-MART. BY USING THIS SET UP YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SPOILAGE, AND THE DEER JUST LOVE THIS STUFF. THE MINERALS WE USE ARE FROM A DISTURBITER,CAUSE WE PUT OUT A GREAT NUMBER OF MINERAL SIGHTS IN THE BEGINNING OF MARCH AND RIGHT THROUGH JULY WHEN WE STOP. IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SIGHT JUST GET A BAG OF DEE CO-CAIN WHICH IS SOLD ALSO AT THE PLACES I MENTIONED AND DO THE SAME THING. GOOD LUCK.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:03 AM

we use corn with a feeder that dispences at dawn and just befor dark.workd great,just put cam on a tree about 20' away and you get lots of pic's.I set mine for every few min.if you set it on every movement,you get tons of pic. of the same animal.

we tried the deer-co-cainthree different places for two years and they walked right by it and through it and never stopped.?? they didn't like it for some reason.