Hello Everyone. Guess what I need right now is your advice and reassurance I'm doing the right thing. I'm a fairly new land owner of 90 acres going on three years now. I was introduced to hunting last year at age 39 (late hunting bloomer) and this year I had a pretty successful time in the field hunting both Turkey and Deer. My family and I enjoy watching the wildlife and I want to try and increase the amont of deer and turkey that might visit the land. We are going to build a summer home here and going to place two 10 foot Tower Blinds to observe from. We truly enjoy the great outdoors, hiking, atv and just the daily nature walks seeing all types of animals! Sure, I like to hunt now, but thats only a small part of the reason I'm doing this. More so for the wife and kids and there exsposure to the wildlife and mine truth be told.
I've read that I should plant 5-10% of the land in food plots. 40 acres is all woods the rest is meadows that was once farm land. Have nice deer traveled tree lined funnels that seperate three meadows.
So this is my plan.
1. Subscribe to Quality Whitetails Magazine.
2. Obtain Neil Dougherty "Grow'em Right" book, X-Mas gift from Wife.
3. Plant 4 acre main food plot of Biologic Premium Perennial (Clover & Brassica)
4. Plant 2 acres in Biologic new Seed Blend of "BioMaxx" (Corn & Bean Blend)
5. Plant 2 acres in Whitetail Insitute Power Plant (Sorghum,Sunflower,Beans & Peas)
6. Plant .75 acre in Whitetail Insitute Imperial Clover
7. Plant .75 Plotspike Chufas-Gotta think of the Turkey's too!
Any suggestions, advice would help.