Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

making the most of it

Old 12-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Default making the most of it

hey guys i have 20 acres of property that is mostly covered with acorn trees and ferns, i do have a few clearings though and i wanted to utilize and make my 20 acres the best i can. what do you think i should do? i plan on using a couple corn feeders and some mineral blocks, but i was interested in making more cover and planting some small food plots ( something relatively easy for a firstimer but works) i've noticed the ground is not really a dirt or soil but more sand and rocks so i don't know what would work. any body have any ideas? i have some pics from my moultrie cam of my property but every time i try to upload them it says the file is to big[:@]
Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: making the most of it

You probably need to give some more information. What state you are in, what are the surrounding properties like as far as agriculture or other food sources. What kind of deer population is there in the area. Hunting pressure on the contiguous lands. Anything else you can think of. I would go with either one large food plot of 1 1/2or moreacres in the middleor, depending on the contiguous lands, one on each end. You can start with a couple of feeders and they will help hold the deer depending on the other foods available in the area until you can get a dozier in there to work on the food plot and get something growing. Iron clay peas and lablab for the summer and either cereal grains and clover for the fall.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 PM

i'm in clare michigan, the other surrounding properties arewooded like mine and i know of a few people using corn feeder through out the year. and i think theres a rye field near, theres a decent amount of deer in the area, this season so far i have caught 5-6 different bucks on my trail cams and numerous does and this was over a 3 month period (sept-nov) most of the bucks were younger bucks ranging from spikes to a small 9 point. on my property i have scrapes, trailsand what looks to be bedding areas. as for the hunting pressure its not to bad on the surrounding land, as the pressure on my property i'm only up there on the weekends. i aready have two homemade corn feeders (5 gallon bucket with dowel in middle) one in the back of my propery and one toward the middle, i was thinking about switching those out for some timer ones. also it seems that 90% of deer activity happens at night.i think thats about it
Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

It's tough to improve on having plenty of oak trees when it comes to deer and turkey hunting , the buck I shot Saturday had a rumen full of acorns .

My property is similar to what you describe but half the size , I plan to chop down some of the non-mast trees to open the canopy more and plant some semidwarf fruit and nut trees . I also have small clear areas where I'll be mowing and tilling and ammending for small food plots of mixed brassicas , turnips , clover , and other food plants . Very few trees on my land are big enough for climbers , so I'm looking to get some ladder stands and ground blinds set up before next season .