Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Raising Deer

Old 10-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Raising Deer

Got a little button buck that I raised from a tiny fawn. He's in a smaller pen now but we're building a big one in the spring and gonna get a few more deer. His buttons are huge looks to have good genes. Anyone have any suggestions on what to feed him? I just been giving him corn and calf feed for now and he loves it. His body is filling out well. Lookin to see what grain I should be giving him. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Raising Deer

Is it legal for you to be penning whitetail deer?

Dan O.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM

duh yes. its not wild it was born i captivity plus i got a permit.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for what might seem like a silly question to you. In Ontario it's illegal to keep any native game animal. I'd go for deer pellets. They're more complete nutritionally than straight grain. You could feed corn but it would be like a farmer fattening up his cattle.

Dan O.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:42 PM

get something with way more protein than corn..........corn isnt really that nutritious for deer.its just tastey to them

gatehr some acorns etc for them too........ maybe plant it a food plot too
Old 10-14-2005, 09:41 PM

Try Purina deer chow; most of the local feed stores should carry it. I know that Southern States carries it for sure.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM

ok thanks he's growing so quick its ridiculous
Old 10-21-2005, 02:03 AM

Corn isnt a good protien rich feed . Corn is more high ebrgy than anything else If you are building a big enough pen The i would plant a small plot of some high protien brassicas or something to supplement the feed you are already giveing him .
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 PM

Plant1/2 acreof Tecomate LabLab and in a self feed type of feeder pour in a mixture of soybean, purina antler max deer pellets, cotton seed, and add some corn to the mix to help attract him and to get him eating the other stuff. You'll have a stud on your hands in no time......
Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 AM

I would just feed him the Deer chow as a base, supplemented with whatever you could scrounge up to cut down feed costs. I don't know how they would keep, but you could probably gather a few big plastic trash cans full of acorns this time of year. You could also get some free food from your local grovery store. They always have produce coming in that is bruised or in some other way unfit for people to buy, and you can usually just find out whatday they sort their produce and pick these items up at no cost. Along with a mineral block, that should be all that you need. That should result in a pretty good buck this time next year!

Quick Reply: Raising Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.