Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Please tell me about Timothy Grass

Old 06-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Please tell me about Timothy Grass

My food plot mix contains alot of Timothy grass, which I understood is primarily Horse feed. How is it for deer??
Old 06-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Please tell me about Timothy Grass

It makes good hay, I would be surprised if deer would get much use of it, dont really know for sure.but doubtful.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion on this , is it is just a filler that they use that will grow out of dirt and just plain runes a good plot. You will find this hay as it is that grows the highest and you would be best to Yank it if at all possible...BT
Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Timothy does nothing for deer - but............ where it grows - you can grow a decent deer plot. Its a weak competitor with most plots - and it will not grow in too acidic a soil - so its a good indicator of "soil type".

See timothy in the foreground - I did not plant it - its a "wild" volunteer on the edge of this plot (last year's plot).

My best plots grow where I find timothy.

FH
Old 06-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Sadly, it looks like I got alot of Timothy in my "Barley/Clover" mix. After liming, discing and then rolling ten acres, I am none to happy with the local seed company. I was hoping to hear that it was good deer feed, alas I will be on the horn with the seller.

I would post pics but they will not upload b/c they are too large.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 AM

Are you sure you can tell the difference between timothy and barly? Notsuggesting anything, but I doknow a lot of people who cant. If it is timothy, it will grow tall enough that deer will use it as a bedding source, but I would not want it in my plots that I worked hard to plant.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 AM

Deer here seem to avoid it, I suppose they'd eat if there were nothing else.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: greg-dude

Are you sure you can tell the difference between timothy and barly? Notsuggesting anything, but I doknow a lot of people who cant. If it is timothy, it will grow tall enough that deer will use it as a bedding source, but I would not want it in my plots that I worked hard to plant.
Honestly no, but I had two local farmers look at it and say it was Timothy. I can send someone a pic if they email me and maybe they can upload it .
Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 PM

Here is what Penn State has to say about Timothy http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uc086.pdf
Old 06-28-2005, 04:25 PM

Chances are that those farmers know what Timothy is and/or know what barley is. Ifthe timothy is too thick, you can spray your legumes to kill it. Keep in mind, this will kill your barley as well,butthis should not be a problem.

Quick Reply: Please tell me about Timothy Grass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.