Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stand's

Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Tree stand's

I'm going to try and buy a portable 2 man ladder stand this summer for this year's fall deer hunting.but my friend land i hunt on think's i should just cut lumber off his land paint in with all weather proof seal and build a few stand's on his land but i kind don't like get in old wood stand's after a few year's .witch way would you go ?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tree stand's

I would buy the safer metal stands. They are also easier to move in case you either want to go down the road a couple of hundred yards or if you find more land to hunt.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree either buy yourself a pre fabed steel one or make one out of steel yourself. We did this, made them 16 feet high with tube steel and removable plywood padded seat with old camo clothes cut to fit for the top. The first one we painted flat brown rust paint and placed skate boarder tape on the rungs and platform to make them anti slip, the next 2 we had them texturized and powder coated locally. Our's have a U bracket that adapts to the tree trunk and then chained as additonal safety...the belts or rope will never last on the account of squirrels and such if leaving all year. However if removing at the end of season small racheting type tie down/straps would also work.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

the metal one is going to be your better choice. quieter too. I don't like using the old permenant stands. too rickity and they make me nervous.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a metal 2man ladder stand last year and it has worked great!! I also hunt out of wood permanent stands but we go and work on them every couple years.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 AM

Hunters view is one of the cheapest on the market that I have found and they work real well. Walmart has them in the fall for about $100 bucks each. Hard to beat the price. Hard to build one for less unless you have a metal and powdercoat company.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:38 PM

i think i will try to get some portal stands and if my friends wish to still build some stand i cand help in makeing them and use them too
Old 05-03-2005, 04:12 PM

in areas that we have hunted for many many years and we know where we will stand we use wooden stands and personally i like them better because i can build them to my exact size and height i want. and they are more steady. however you do have to check them every year and do a little fix ups. and my uncle cuts his own wood from trees on his property so i have never had to pay for anything more then the nails to build these stands. but the metal ones are lighter and easier to move. however when i set up a ladder stand i normally don't look to move it anytime soon.

if you think you may be moving it around just get a hang on or a climber
Old 05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy one it will be safer you won't be sorry. Its not worth getting hurt .If you must use metal like the others said and make sure its sturdy
Old 05-03-2005, 06:07 PM

I have taken 2 headers out of permanent (HAH) stands. First time cost me a broken arm and 2nd degree shoulder separation. I was LUCKY that time. Next fall cost me 4 shattered ribs, torn sternum cartilage, a punctured lung and stiches to my face after the remains of the stand fell on top of me and pile drove my mug into the dirt. I hunt out of 2 ladder stands now and when absolutely necessary use my Loggy Bayou climber in remote places - I only go about 15 feet up tho. Ladder stands are easy to get into but a royal pain to haul into the woods and set up due to weight. I do prefer them tho. Be safe!

Quick Reply: Tree stand's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.