Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Standing Corn

Old 09-16-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Hunting Standing Corn

I have 15 acres of standing corn, I'm not going to harvest. I have a tower stand for rifle hunting on one edge of it. Would you shred openings/lanes in it or not - if so how long & wide ??

Old 09-17-2002, 07:12 PM

Default RE: Hunting Standing Corn

Help !

Old 09-17-2002, 09:03 PM

Kinda depends on how your ground lays. Is there woods all the way around the field? On one side, two or three?

If the deer are going to be coming from one direction then I would cut a lane between the woods and field. That is the easiest way to do it. I have found that deer do not move around much in a cornfield. I have watched deer feed around me that go into the corn and I never lose sight of them the entire evening.

If you decide to cut openings through the field I would make them atleast as long as you can shoot. As far as wide, you will either want to make the openings narrow and more of them; or wider with less of them. Either way you want to make sure that you have enough time to judge a buck to decide if you want to shoot or not. I would leave as much corn in the field as possible. They will definitly be around in the late season if you haven't filled your tags by then. Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:59 AM

i am with huntnnut....

go out there and watch the deer. they will tell you where you should do it. cut some of those lanes that they run to and from.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

15 acres is a little bit to see all the way through the corn so if the field is surrounded by woods on at least 3 sides I would get you a good lane as far across as you can shoot... I would make it 4-6 yards wide... Deer like edges and then tend to travel along edges and if you gave that much of an opening you could shoot them crossing and traveling down that path... I think that is going to be your best bet... but that is just my 2 cents...