Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When is the RUT / Prerut  in Conn. >

When is the RUT / Prerut in Conn.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When is the RUT / Prerut in Conn.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default When is the RUT / Prerut in Conn.

When is the Rut ,Pre rut and breakout in north east Connecticut.
I was just reading "North Americian Whitetail" October's Breakout Buck Tactics. This was for Wisconsin. Greg Miller talks about Breakout frenzie being only a few days so I would like to narrow in on the dates for my area. Thanks If I get enough hits I can adverage them and get real close!!
Old 09-15-2002, 11:15 AM

Default RE: When is the RUT / Prerut in Conn.

since i hunt in maine and in mass. the pre-rut and ruts should be the same.
usually the pre-rut depending on temps should be about the first week of november. second week should be the start of the rut and it picks up in the third week of november.
then there is a sceond rut in the 2nd to 4th week in decmber if temp is right.

Old 09-16-2002, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where do you hunt?? I hunt mainly Tolland and Windham counties, and this is "my" best guess.

This year is going to be a little screwy, especially in areas of high doe:buck ratios (which all of CT is). Pre-rut/chasing/rubbing should pick up around the first week of October. The first full moon is ~ 10/20, and many "experts" feel this will trigger enough of the does to initiate the rut. The next full moon, or the actual rutting moon, isn't until ~11/19. From past experiences, when the rutting moon is this late in November, trickle or constant ruts occur. Your best bet this year, if you bowhunt, may be to hunt the pre-rut.

Find a rubline within a travel corridor around the middle to end of October, and you might find yourself confronted by a bruiser of a buck.

If you're a strict gunhunter--best of luck to ya', because the first few days of the season are going to be great around midday, or you're not going to see squat.

S&R

Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Quilly. I also hunt NH and Maine and for the most part, the rut comes about the same time. From my experience, the pre-rut is usuallty the first days of Nov with the peak coming sometime between Nov 10-12th. CT. may be different but I would think the rut would be very close to northern New England. It is triggered by the decrease in sunlight (photoperiodism) sp?, as the days get shorter. I honestly don't think the moon phase has a direct effect on the rut and think the 20th of Oct is way early. Some believe that the temp (first cold snap) can also trigger the rut. If this was true, then no deer in the deep south would ever come into season. Also stay in the woods all day if possible, because you can see deer at anytime when the rut kicks in.

Old 09-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

i live in lousiana and are rut is usiall in the first or second week in november depending on the weather

100%REDNECK
Old 09-17-2002, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks to all. Spike, I live and hunt in plainfield bolth bow and rifle. I am pretty much restricted to 60 acres. I live on 12 of my own with landowners tags and my neighbors 50. With this convience I don' get out to scout other areas or hunt them. I have an 80 tree apple orchard that had a lot of activity in August. When the acorns fall in early September The deer dissapear. I Think they find an Oak tree and sleep real close to it. I haven't found there beds or September trails yet. Been looking for years. I think they move way down the vally to a swamp off my property. All I get is some strays. Where do you hunt. E mail Me [email protected].