Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best shotgun slug

Old 09-09-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Best shotgun slug

Any shotgun hunters out there? In the area of NY I live in we
have to use shotguns for deerhunting. I am currently shooting a Mossburg 500 with a rifled, ported barrel and a cantiler scope mount.
I have heard of guys sighting in at 150 to 200 yards now with sabot
slugs. I generally don't shoot over 100 yards with the vast majority of shots being under 75 yards. I'm always looking for the most accurate sabot slug, anyone have any favorites with real world group sizes? Last year I used Federal 3" sabots but I wasn't satisfied with the groups I shot.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best shotgun slug

I've been hunting with a 870 12 ga. with a rifled barrel for 8 years now (by choice...not required here in Arkansas) because just love the gun and the knock-down power I get with it. I've experimented with several brands and types of slugs and I've found that I am most happy with Winchester 2 1/2" sabots. I've shot the 3" a few times but did not notice any difference in performance. I consistently get 2-3" groups at 50-75 yards (never have sighted it in at 100...no need to). I know that's not the laser-like accuracy rifle hunters expect, but with the awesome knock-down power I get its not a problem. I've taken 4 nice bucks with it at distances from 30-60 yards and not one of them has ever taken a single step after I hit him. Looked like a piano got dropped on them. That said, every gun has its own personality so you really need to do your own experimentation. Hope that helps!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:39 PM

Any of the modern 12 ga sabots by Remington, Federal or Winchester are great loads. I think you just have to shoot them to see which load your gun likes best. I shoot an 870 with a Hastings rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount also. My gun happens to like the Federals. Also, I haven't experienced an advantage of the 3" load over the 2 3/4". I shoot the 2 3/4 for less recoil. The deer don't know the difference. I also recommend that you zero at 100 yards. I would hate to have to pass on a buck of a lifetime at 100 yards because I wasn't confident about where my gun hit at that range. Lastly, I would let the barrel cool sufficiently between shots. Most rifled shotgun barrels have light contours and consequently heat up quickly. I know this will not give you a true "group" but this simulates a real hunting situation (cold barrel). By its very nature, the shotgun isn't a tack driver so I would be less concerned with group sizes than I would be with the first shot. Sorry to ramble on. Hope I didn't insult your intelligence as you probably have a lot more experience than I do. But I hope this helps anyways.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:07 PM

I shoot lightfields and winchester partion golds, and i am shooting consistently out to 200yards, with a ithaca deerslayer and a 11-87, the partion golds have ALOT of power leaving the barrel at 1900 fps, and have a slug almost identical to one from a muzzeloader, the lightfields look more of the traditional slug but are deadly accurate and leave you a great trail, which you dont need with them though because they dotn go far,, ive shot sabots and just regular old slugs and willnever go back to pumkin balls the sabots have to be one of the greatest innovations in gunning ever

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 09-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

check out the Win. sabot slug, gives you rifle energy , has more energy at 100 yds. than a 3030 has at the muzzle
Old 09-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot many slugs out of my gun. The only way to find out the best slug for YOU is to buy a pack of each and shoot them. I found out that the lightfield shot the best out of my 870 express. Hope you find the slug for you!

Old 09-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I typed 2 1/2" Winchester earlier when I meant 2 3/4". Brain fart. Sorry about that!
Old 09-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I typed 2 1/2" Winchester earlier when I meant 2 3/4". Brain fart. Sorry about that!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:37 PM

rml, not that you need another opinion, but I agree with what these guys said. Buy a few different brands, and let your slug gun decide what the best one is. It appears you don't have a need to take long shots w/ a slug (150+ yards), but i'd be leary of them anyhow. I'm sure it is possible to get accuracy at that distance on the range, but with that large chunk of lead making a big arc, a lot of things can happen when in the woods shooting at game.

--Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs--
Old 09-10-2002, 05:44 AM

I know that I don't plan to use the 3" slugs again, they practically knock your shoulder out of socket! I plan to try several brands this year but was curious what others like since these things usually cost over a dollar a shot and I don't want to spend a small fortune getting sighted in. I am going to try a 200 yard shot on the range to see what happens, I have passed up long shots before because I had no idea what to expect over 100 yards. If I could only use a rifle, I see a ton of deer at 300-400 yards every year. They learn to stay way out in the cornfields. I wonder if my accuracy would improve with a better scope, the one that came with the gun is a tasco bantam.
God, I love this time of year!!!!!

Quick Reply: Best shotgun slug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.