Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Meat Help??

Old 01-10-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Deer Meat Help??

Now that i've finally got some venison to fill my freezer with I have a couple questions before it goes into the freezer.A lot of people in my family say they don't like deer meat because it has a wild game taste to it,i'd like to use the correct procedures to make sure this meat is just right so I can prove to everyone that deer meat is good meat.
What all should I do to the deer before freezing?I've heard different things.Some say soak in salt water other just say stick it in the fridge or cooler with ice for about a week.I killed my deer friday and I gave half away to my cousin so right now I have a quarter,a shoulder,tenderloin, and back strip in the fridge.What do all of you do to your meat to prepare it for the freezer?
My other question is what should I wrap the meat in before I put it in the freezer?I was going to try and get some freezer paper if I can just get it at the grocery store.What else can I use to wrap it?
This is my first so this is all new to me.
Thanks,
JE
Old 01-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Meat Help??

Wrap your meat in the stretch wrap plastic then followed by butcher paper. Make sure you label your cuts as well as the date. If your going to be doing alot of wrapping in the future you might consider a food saver vacuum packer if you plan on leaving your meat froze for a while. We eat are's so fast it's a waste of time
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

To not get the gamey taste remove ALL fat from the meat .
If I am grinding burger I add a little pork with lots of fat.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:44 PM

remove the fat and the blue sheath-soak overnite in salt water-then wrap in shrink wrap then butcher paper-cooking will make a heck of a difference as well as types and varieties of seasoning can make a huge difference.-most people who think it has a gamey taste already have their mind made up!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM

Here's what I've found: first of all, get the meat quartered and into a refrigerator or iced down cooler as soon as is humanly possible. I think that it's reasonable to have a deer in the refrigerator and quartered within 2 hours. I start by cutting the backstrap out first, followed by the tenderloins. Then you salvage as much skirt as you can and whatever shoulder meat remains (for Chili meat). I then cut the hams and it all gets washed thoroughly and placed in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. 12 hours before actually processing the deer, I place the hams in the freezer to firm them up. It makes deboning the meat and running it through the band saw much, much easier. When I'm deboning the meat, I'm careful to cut as much of the coagulated blood off as I can see. In addition, there's normally a thin layer of membrane covering the sides of the meat and I cut that off as well. Then, I cut off any white pieces of fat I see and it gets tenderized, tightly packaged, labeled with the cut and date and thrown in the freezer. I've never had a "gamey tasting" piece of meat that I personally cut. I've known others' meat to taste gamey, but never my own. Take care of the meat with common sense and you'll never have a problem.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

About the salt water soak idea, I've heard that from Texas deer hunters, and I see an AZ guy says the same here. Must be a southwest thing. In most of the US, where deer have more to eat than sand, cactus, and horny toads, the meat will taste fine without the whole salt water trick.

Otherwise, like others have said, get rid of all fat and wrap the meat first in cling wrap, then in freezer paper.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info,I think i'll just go ahead and wrap it and throw it in the freeze.One more question,can you get freezer paper at a regular grocery store or do you have to go to a meat shop?
Thanks again,
JE
Old 01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

About the salt water soak idea, I've heard that from Texas deer hunters, and I see an AZ guy says the same here. Must be a southwest thing. In most of the US, where deer have more to eat than sand, cactus, and horny toads, the meat will taste fine without the whole salt water trick.
I do the salt water trick myself in other circumstances. When I have packed out an Deer or Elk in a hurry. I fill the tub with water and a little salt. By soaking in the solution, it removes the blood and the hair being hollow floats and cleans the meat a little before cutting up. If you don't have much blood and hair on the meat it's not necessary.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM

I forgot to ask another question that I had.How long can you keep the meat refrigerated before freezing?
Thanks,
JE
Old 01-11-2005, 10:02 AM

To me, there's a fine line on how long it should be refrigerated. IMO, it should be in the fridge for 2-3 days before processing. Past 3 days though, and I feel like the meat's been in there too long.

Quick Reply: Deer Meat Help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.