Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buckshot out of a turkey choke? >

Buckshot out of a turkey choke?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot out of a turkey choke?

Old 01-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Buckshot out of a turkey choke?

I have a xx turkey choke. Would it be ok if I shot 00 buck out of it??
Old 01-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buckshot out of a turkey choke?

I have never tried it. I would not think that it would hurt anything to try it a few times to see how it patterns. Then again maybe to be safe wait for someone else who has tried it to respond or call the manufacture of the choke.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a bad idea. It will be real bad for your barrel and it won't shoot worth a darn. Buckshot shoots better out of a modified or improved. Take a big sheet of cardbaord out and shoot all of them. The tighter chockes flatten the buck shot as it comes out and causes it to sail.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 AM

-
Old 01-06-2005, 12:08 PM

it should tell you on the choke to NOT shoot buckshot from xx or x full turky chokes.a full choke is ok but not turkey.
I have a BPS with full and have shot #1 and #4 buck shot through it for the past 30 years with no problem. the boxes with all the chokes I have saw tell you what and what not to use them for.I do know mine has BIG letters that states to not use steel shot through it.
it is best to try the mod;and full with several size and brands of buckshot to see which gets the best pattern.my BPS is best with Winchester #4 buckshot.have used them on deer and hogs for over 35 years,30 in the BPS and I had an Ithitca befor that.

best of luck in testing.[8D]
Old 01-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:15 PM

If I use a mod. choke how far will I be able to reach out there? And how far will I be able to reach with a imp.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 PM

DeerSLayer,
I have always used a remington 11-87 with a full choke 3" 00 copper plated buckshot...shot very very well...good patterns at 50 yards have even knocked a few down close to 70 yards...its very hard to shoot that far with it but for soem reason this gun shot exceptionally well...recently i bought a winchester supreme o/u...this shoots great aslo with 3" copper plated 00 as well as remington 3" 00...teh pattern was excellent at 50 yards so i have good confidence in shooting a little further...shot an 8 pointer this year with it at about 35 yards folded up right on the spot...usually the xx full choke will flatten teh buckshot as someone else said and cause it to be very inaccurate...on the o/u i use mod/full choke ....it shoots better with full but modified is just about the same...#1 buck worked pretty well also...but i liek the knockdown of 00
Old 01-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Alse as i think someone else said...bring all 3 chokes imp ..mod..anf full and different varieties of buckshot liek 3" 00 #1 #4..then 2/34 00 , #1, #4..and alot of sheets of cardboard and jus go through them all with the different chokes until you find the best...took me quite a bit to pattern both guns...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 PM

i read this post the other day and i got to thinking about what a gunsmith was telling another guy at his shop one day about which choke was the best for buckshot. He said a turkey choke was the best choke for buckshot of any size.Well i don't believe everthink i hear so after i read this post where some said it was a bad ideal i called a rem spokesperson and he said as long as it is solid lead buckshot it will not harm the gun or the turkey choke but do not use steel through it. So i put my mod choke in my 870 and shot a win. 3 in. # 1 buckshot at a old washing machine at 50 yards ,i only hit it with 8 pellets and they were high and low and to both sides,it was a lousy pattern. I then put the remington trky super full in the gun and shot another win 3in. #1 buckshot at the same 50 yard range,it was a very good pattern ,i hit the target with 18 pellets and the pattern was almost a perfect circle of about 24 inches. And the holes from both shots were the same dia.

Quick Reply: Buckshot out of a turkey choke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.