Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks >

Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Old 12-26-2004, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Shootem in the head drop like flies no ruined meat.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shootem in the head drop like flies no ruined meat
Only if you hit the brain.If you hit the jaw the animal suffers a slow painful death from starvation.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Shootem in the head drop like flies no ruined meat
Only if you hit the brain.If you hit the jaw the animal suffers a slow painful death from starvation.
I just finished a euro mount for someone, the 8 pointer was hit directly in the jaw with a .270. Guy said he dropped but was still alive and couldnt get up, a follow up shot was necessary as it lay on the ground.
kinda a sad huh ? Even though I'm guilty of taking a few deer in the head.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:16 PM

My 13 year old female student shot this one in the spine and bagged her first buck. All this was only 2 days after she received her hunters ed card from me. It was the first time she ever went hunting. What a lucky hunter!

Old 12-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just finished a euro mount for someone, the 8 pointer was hit directly in the jaw with a .270. Guy said he dropped but was still alive and couldnt get up, a follow up shot was necessary as it lay on the ground.
kinda a sad huh ? Even though I'm guilty of taking a few deer in the head.
That deer was lucky as he died much quicker than most deer with their jaw shot off.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:52 PM

We can not use any rifle in this state for deer. It is shotgun only and they even make us put in a 3 shot plug? I don't have a clue why there head is in their ass but its OK to carry a revolver with 6 shots. The law makers are a bunch of idiots. I thought I would include a picture of some birds I shot this year.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you just "have to" drop them where they stand the high shoulder shot would be the one I would recommend. Having seen botched head and neck shots it just something I don't freely suggest.

I personally feel the same as Stubblejumper with a double lung I have needed very little tracking abilities to collect my harvests and meat lose is a non-issue. That being said I have taken a number of animals on quartering away shots where the bullet enters the ribs through the lungs and out the opposing shoulder and it works very well. This shot will ruin some meat in the opposing shoulder though.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

high on the shoulder with my 870 remington shooting brenneke rottweiles. Never had one run if its 40yds or less.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:46 AM

if you want to drop it in its tracks without regard to ruining meat, hit it in the spine. or, if you want to ruin little meat, aim for high on the shoulder, you will hit it in the bottom of the spine, the top of the lungs, and the main arteries in the back. it will drop in its tracks. if you dont possibly mind tracking 50- yards, then aim right behind the shoulder, it wastes little meat and usually they drop, but sometime you need to track it.

it also depends onm what u are shooting. i can make a shot with my .270 and drop a deer in its tracks, but my dad can tack the same exact shot and it will run 50 yards.

Quick Reply: Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.