Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots on Deer.......

Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Head Shots on Deer.......

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: kevin1
With enough gun
Most head shooters don't need "enough gun," a BB to the head should be enough gun!
and enough shooting ability I see no problem with it
how do you practice a shot that the target is subject to move at any given time?
It's not the sort of shot that everyone should attempt without a lot of practice though .
Again, how is this shot practiced?
Really, its not the sort of shot anyone should attempt!
I wasn't reccomending the shot JagMag ,
just stating that a practised marksman with a properly sighted hunting weapon can make that shot with no more risk to the animal than a heart/lung shot . I also wasn't reccomending shooting one with a toy , and I call .22s toys when it comes to hunting anything larger than bunnies . A deer's skull is a pretty good sized target , especially with a scope , and a well placed shot there will drop them in their tracks . The head is sometimes all that you're going to get a shot at because of heavy brush or other obstacles , and certainly more ethical that a blind shot through the brush like a lot of people would attempt . If I couldn't make that shot I wouldn't take it anyway .
Old 12-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

just stating that a practised marksman with a properly sighted hunting weapon can make that shot with no more risk to the animal than a heart/lung shot
Since the target is much smaller,there is obviously more risk.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

how does one accidentaly shoot a deer in the head ? ( shaking my head)
-ya know, some things are just meant to be, i reckon i was trying to aim at the shoulder while he was trotting in but i was looking at his antlers and that shot just so happend to enter his left side right under his ear. It was truly a miracle shot, i wasnt even trying to hit him there.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

why take a head shot when you have so much more area in the chest for the heart and lungs....just dumb and no RESPECT for the animal your hunting....plain and simple....................bob