Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Molasses for deer

Old 01-27-2005, 05:58 PM

Default RE: Molasses for deer

ORIGINAL: WantBuck
I'd like to try that peanut butter though, Could I get a tub at my local COOP store.Thats the only store around her that would have anything like that I believe.
Just use normal Peanut butter man, it works wonders for me. Or you could us

Buck Jam - Peanut Butter. I hear that works well also.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:33 AM

I have used molasses and not had much luck out of it. If you do wanna try it, don't buy the overpriced ones in the feed stores. Go to Sams or another wholesale food distributor and buy it in gallon jugs for about $4.00. Its the same stuff, just not packaged quite as pretty.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 AM

Make sure its legal to feed deer in your state the. Here in NY it is illegal to feed deer. They are taking preventive measures to try and stop CWD from happening in NY.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:40 PM

I tried some vanilla and it seems to work decent, its expensive though. How do salt blocks and such work for yall during the winter? I would like one to belp draw in some deer to my stands!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

To heck with the molasses ...just put down those golden accorns ...CORN like we do in Alabama LOL ...now THAT will attract the deer for SURE!!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: mrwake

I tried some vanilla and it seems to work decent, its expensive though. How do salt blocks and such work for yall during the winter? I would like one to belp draw in some deer to my stands!
My salt licks work the best around April , May and June . Other than that they will walk on by it . I hear guys saying that they will by rock salt for ice and put that out . They claim it works great .

I use vanilla also . Iput it out on a stick or stump in front of my game cameras . Stops them every time in front of them .
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Molasses

I've used molasses in my home made deer feed blocks for years. I mix Molasses, cracked corn, roasted soy bean crushed, whole oats, salt and purina deer mineral. Mix it up by hand and pack into smaller containers. Let stand a few hours and then dump them out into a block. The deer love them!!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Spike

salt hands down works the best if you have a coop just go and get a 30 pound bag of loose salt dont need all of it in one spot of course but will work for a few spots. Its way better than block salt.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrwake
Salt is a great spring and summer attractant. Some use in fall and winter, but not much.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've put out plain old 50lb white salt blocks and the Deer use it year round,also poured rock salt onto ol tree stumps and it worked great also.We also buy 3 or 4 ingredients and make our own mineral licks too,or simply buy the Luck Buck mineral in the 20lb plastic buckets and pour out what You want in different spots!

Peanut Butter works very good....buy the kind in the plastic jars,un-screw the lid and nail it to a tree or wood board,screw the jar back onto the lid/tree and cut out the bottom and You have it there for the Deer to enjoy.

I've bought the more expensive Buck Jam and poured it out onto an old tree stump and the Deer really liked it also...as Stumpy Barnes mentioned,go to a local Feed Store or Retail Store and buy the molasses a lot cheaper.

Another great attractant we use is to put out is the Arm & Hammer Salt Lick.Find a good spot to put this out,preferably close to a good water source.You dig a spot of dirt up with a shovel in a 2 or 3 foot circle breaking the ground up fine,pour 1/2 a box of the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda on the dirt then pour 10-20lbs of Rock Salt on top then the remainder of A & H on top and let the rain work it into the ground.Some times we put a little corn down on it to draw the Deer in to find it at first then we re-fresh it every 3-4 months and the Deer know its there after that!

Quick Reply: Molasses for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.