Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

I just found out in North Carolina it is legal to shoot deer with a 22 cal. rifle.

This is what the NC Regulations has to say.

http://www.ncwildlife.org

Look in hunting/trapping then click on FAQ's
then click Any restrictions on rifle caliber?
then click What is the smallest caliber rifle I can hunt with?

What is the smallest caliber rifle I can hunt with?

We do not, by statute, define what type of rifle you can hunt with. Most rifles are governed by federal firearms rules. .22 caliber rifles are legal for taking big game by state law, if they conform to federal firearm guidelines. You cannot use rifles to take/hunt migratory birds or wild turkey. Some local laws also prohibit or may have restrictions on rifle use. Please see Local Laws of the Regulations Digest for further information. See the Hunting/Trapping regulations and click on "Local Laws" here.

It is under the FAQ's section in hunting/trapping

I called the Regulations phone number and asked them to be sure about this.
And they said if it is not listed in the local laws for the county you are in then it is legal.
In my county Randolph county it only says.

The following is unlawfull in the counties indicated:

Randolph County -Hunt from the right-of-way of a public road.

Then I said so it is legal to hunt and shoot deer with a 22 cal. rifle.
And they said that it is legal.

So my question to every one that reads this is ?

Would you hunt deer with a 22 cal. rifle even if it is legal ?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:25 PM

Default RE: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

no-- besides the law which says no in Minn. the law here requires slug in southern , high power in central to north ---not saying it wont do it !!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO NO NO AND NO
Old 12-23-2004, 12:56 PM

That would be a NO
Old 12-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i had to start out hunting with a 223 because i am a disabled hunter and we did not know how i could take recoil. I have since upgraded to a 243, and now a 6mm rem. That lil 223 killed deer quicker than my 6mm will. It has tremendous shocking power with a premium bullet in the boiler room under 150yds it always did the job and quick. It usually dropped them on the spot. I had to use my 223 last year because of a rotator cuff tear and it preformed flawlesly. People may think less of me as a hunter because i use a 223 that i am being inhumane to what i am hunting but ill put a well placed shot with my 223 up against a bad shot from a bigger rifle anyday. It's all about placement.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:44 PM

Agreed, shot placement is the key. If a .22 cal pistol can kill a 200lb man, a deer less than 200lbs should be the same.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anything in there about using a BB gun for deer? A .22 will kill one, but so will a 66 Ford pickup. I won't be using either on purpose.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:08 PM

NO
Old 12-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do hunt with a .22 caliber rifle, and it works fine.
A 22-250 Remington produces muzzle velocities and energy to rival that of just about any other deer gun. The damage is devastating. I've taken several does with it.

I think, however, that you mean a .22 long rifle or .22 magnum. In that case, it could be pretty inhumane. I'd probably have some pretty harsh words to offer if I ever ran into another hunter using a .22L.R. for deer.

Off the top of my head, I think PA requires the rifle to be center-fire. IMO, the smallest thing available would be a .22 Hornet.

I'd put the low end for whitetail deer at the .223. Anything much smaller might be problematic.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:17 PM

This seems to be a thread that has been discussed at length on these boards. Remember that 80% of the people on the board think that a deer has armor plating like a panzer tank and that anything less than their new 300 whizbanggroundpounding magnum will bounce off the deer's hide.

To answer your question, yes I would use a properly loaded 22 centerfire for deer.

Quick Reply: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.