Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how long is the rut?

Old 11-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Default how long is the rut?

how long does the rut last?....im not talking pre-rut included...i mean the actual breeding
Old 11-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how long is the rut?

Not an exact number. One major factor is the doe population. Low population of does with enough bucks and it won't last but a couple of weeks. In our area of high doe population I think they commonly breed for two or three months.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

bucks have been running does for almost 4 weeks in our area. Check with your states game dept. Texas has a regional breakdown of the rut which showed it peaking in our area 3 days after gun season opened. They were right on the money. Look for a secondary rut 30 days later for those does that didn't get bred. Younger does may go into heat later because of a later birth, summer instead of spring. I saw two fawns with spots on opening day. They couldnt have been more than 3 months old. That means mamma was bred in late Feb early March if my thinking is right.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 PM

thanks guys
Old 11-20-2004, 05:35 PM

Dow estrus cycle is 28 days. If not bread the first cycle they will be in estrus a second 28 days. But, the time of year can vary. Go to http://www.trmichels.com/RutDates.htm for dates in your state... Good Luck! Al