Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot & Choke Choice?

Old 11-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Spike

Default Buckshot & Choke Choice?

Hi all. I hunt deer every year in a gun club in southern NJ with Remington 870 3' express magnum, and buckshot only allowed. Other than the 6-day firearm season, I'm not much of a hunter, but have been interested in becoming a better shot this year. I've been doing some research online, practicing shooting, and I'm interested to hear what you all think for choice of buckshot brand, size, and choke size. Our hunting is mostly flat-land with medium to thickly wooded areas. I've just purchased several different chokes from Remington, but have seen some $80+ chokes and also wandering if anyone would reccomend them. I've also begun to pattern my gun, and wander if anyone thinks there is a benefit to more pellets or less with a less experienced shot. (In other words, as not a great shot, do I increase my chances with 00 or 1 buck as opposed to 000?) Appreciate your help!
Old 11-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buckshot & Choke Choice?

Best thing you can do is to get a box of #1, 00, and 000 and pattern your gun with different chokes. It will also make a difference with the brand of shells you get. Depending on how many chokes you want to try it may take more than one box of each to get a good idea. I always liked 00 Remingtons, but that is what my gun patterned best.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:13 PM
Spike

Thanks, Timber.... going to do that, hopefully next weekend.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:35 PM

I have hunted with shotguns and buckshot for many,many years.I have always shot 3" winchester #4 buckshot.winchester is the brand that my gun likes.I have use #4 buck for deer,hogs,and turkey for most of my hunting life and have found they work well and have a few more pellets per shell;thus makes for a better pattern.
You may give them a try and see how you like them.they will take down a deer or hog just as well and any other size.my photo book will testify to the results.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:14 PM

Goodfella, I have hunted with shotguns and buckshot for more than 20 years now, and I have a few possibly worthless opinions. Here goes...

As timbercruiser said, you will need to pattern your gun with different brands and sizes to see what it likes best. My 870 and 1187 shoot Winchester 3" 00 best, but my old Browning liked Remington 3" 000 better. As to buying an expensive choke, I would not recommend it. If your season is only 6 days per year it is probably not worth it. Where I hunt the season runs for 4.5 months, so we can invest a little more without feeling foolish if we don't get a deer in a week or two. I have found that the standard "modified" choke works just about as good as the expensive ones, especially if you are trying to stretch your budget.

Personally, I would not recommend #4 buck. The pellets are really small, and they do not carry energy as far as the larger pellets. Instead of using smaller pellets, I would advise going to a skeet or trap range and shooting several rounds to improve your skills. It will not take much to make you a better shooter, and you will see the results the next time you pull the trigger on that 870 at a nice deer.

P.S. Don't waste your time trying a turkey choke with buckshot. The extra-tight constriction actually makes the pellets fly wild instead of patterning the way you want them to. Usually modified or full will work best. Good Luck!